NTL Broadband - Want to Go Wireless

jezzer256

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hello there

I have had wireless in my house for a long time, with a Netgear D834G (or something like that) router/modem. This is fine for me, because I have AOL ADSL broadband.

My friend, who is in the process of buying his own gaming PC, is going to have his new PC in his room. The internet connection is downstairs, so he needs wireless.

My question is: How do we get wireless with cable internet? Does anyone have any experience of this? I am a beginner with cable wireless really. Thanks!

Jez

Not too sure what your required answer is but he'll need a Cable Router for starters....they seem slightly cheaper than ADSL routers too.

Is this the answer you're looking for or you need info on setting it up?

Yep guess so... my fault, poorly phrased.

Do Netgear do cable routers? I'm used to their setup interface etc. What plugs into what?

Jez

You need a router with a connection marked "WAN", routers for cable do not have a built in ADSL modem that's why they tend to be cheaper.

So how do I set it up?

Jez

Basically his existing cable modem needs to plug into the wireless cable router, then from the router onto the PC's network card (NIC). He shouldn't need to buy any extra RJ45 cables so when he gets the router just follow all the instructions provided.

Try this - http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_firewall_router_wgr614.php

And this for any setup info - http://kbserver.netgear.com/products/wgr614v7.asp

I'm honestly not being sarcastic but the web is a wonderful thing, try searching for info, you'll be amazed at the wealth of content. Good luck

I'm honestly not being sarcastic but the web is a wonderful thing, try searching for info, you'll be amazed at the wealth of content.
One great website for info is www.avforums.com :thumbsup:

And thanks, great info there :)

Jez

EDIT: So is this correct... an ethernet cable plugs into the wireless router to give it internet? I'm just not sure his cable modem has an ethernet output, but I'm probably wrong. Oh how dumb I am!

It's funny, i came on here because i can't get my head round TV's, amps and speakers....

The cable modems supplied by Telewest/NTL/Virgin have Ethernet output (as well as USB).
You also need a cable compatible wireless router, as opposed to your own ADSL compatible router. They're different.

You run a CAT5 network cable from the cable modem into the back of the wireless router, then another CAT5 cable from the router into the network card on "a" computer.
(this computer doesn't need to be permanently connected in future, but you need to connect by a cable initially to be able to view and configure the wireless router settings).

Call up the routers configuration page in a web browser (http://192.168.1.1/), enter the default username and password of the router as the manufacturer's instructions, this gets you into the settings page.
Configure your router as per the instructions. Try and connect from the gaming PC upstairs.

When setting up you will need to switch the modem off and then back on agian to register the router with the cable providers system.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom