1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL Broadband & Free Xbox Deal

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Gagan26Leeds, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Gagan26Leeds

Gagan26Leeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,

I rang up NTL to confirm that they were still running this offer which they said they are.

I'm seriously considering cancelling my Pipex £23.44 a month 512k broadband and going for this deal.

I'd be tied in for at least 12 months but the free Xbox just seems to tempting. I've worked it out that it will cost me an extra £68.60 if I just used the £24.99 service or £92.60 if I went for the £25.99 Xbox live service with 2 IP addresses.

What do you think? Is it worth it?

How good is the NTL Broadband service?
    Do you get disconnected if you leave it running all day?
    Any download restrictions?
    Would I be able to connect a 2nd PC/Mac to broadband service?

Cheers,

G

2. GlennR

GlennR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi G,

I have NTL and have had it for the last 3 years. I live in Nottingham but my daughter who is at Uni in Leeds also has BB from NTL.

How good is the NTL Broadband service?
    As good as any other service. Several colleagues at work have other ISP's BT AOL etc and they seem to complain much more than me.

Do you get disconnected if you leave it running all day?
    No, mine is on 24/7 never disconnected on at least 3 PC's

Any download restrictions?
    Not that have restricted my use.

Would I be able to connect a 2nd PC/Mac to broadband service?
    Yes via a router. I have a Linksys router which gives me the ability to share the BB with 3 other PCs that are also networked. Superb piece of kit and awsome telephone support. I phoned up one night at 11pm only to be aswered by tech support in the states who was extremely helpful and immediately gave me the solution I was looking for.

Make sure you request the Network connected NTL modem and not the USB type.

Hope this helps.....

Regards
    Glenn

3. Gagan26Leeds

Gagan26Leeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info Glenn.

I did speak to NTL on the phone briefly...and I was told that there is a 1GB a day restriction for downloading and also you get cut off after 3/4 hours if it is inactive.....which I assume will have an affect if I leave it on for downloading?

I'll make sure that I ask them for the network modem. The other thing I found confusing was that when I ordered it online the £50 deposit/installation was discounted which left a balance of £0.00 and just the monthy charge of £24.99, any idea why?

G

4. GlennR

GlennR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    you get cut off after 3/4 hours if it is inactive.....which I assume will have an affect if I leave it on for downloading?

I think this means no activity accessing the net. I leave my PC 24/7 with Outlook checking every 2 mins. this continues to work constantly without any interuption as I would assume downloading large files.

I'll make sure that I ask them for the network modem. The other thing I found confusing was that when I ordered it online the £50 deposit/installation was discounted which left a balance of £0.00 and just the monthy charge of £24.99, any idea why?

They may be installing for free. I have taken that 'offer' on both my installation here and in Leeds. I find them very reliable, and very, very accurate. I aslo have Digital TV and telephone through NTL. Customer service / installation is very good and they come when they say they will, unlike other organisations.

The only issue I have ever had was getting through to customer service at peak times, (sheer volume of callers and queing system) but the call is free and the service personel are good and very helpful.

In this day and age of telephone queing systems NTL are as good as anyone, better than my bloody Bank and I trust them with MY money.

Glenn

5. suzywong

suzywong
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have NTL 512K broadband connected to a 4 PC LAN via an Intertex IX66 router/firewall.

No major problems, although there have been a few times when the network was down. I think I had the (faulty) modem replaced at some stage, and other times they've sorted out (their) problems over the phone. Phone support is the standard automated menu system, then 20 minute waiting time, etc etc

Emails seem to be their biggest problem. We have NTL's monitoring daemon running and we get "users may be having trouble downloading email" messages about once a month (very roughly). The service is then out for a few hours.

Other than that it's pretty good; certainly I've no reason to consider changing at this time.:)

6. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,455
    You can check the history of NTL service downtime here. Note that the history only goes back to April this year & only 10 incidents are recorded per page. There are sometimes 4 pages per month.

I don't recognise the NTL that I have to deal with from GlennR's description. Perhaps it's a regional thing &, as his experience is close to you, let's hope that's what you can expect.

I can echo SuzyWong's comments regarding e-mail. There is barely a day goes by without some sort of problem with NTL's POP servers. Either very slow logon (5 minutes +) or logon rejected. This can result in loss of e-mail for anything between a few hours & a few days. It is also quite common for sent/received mail to take up to 5 days to be delivered. There appears to be nobody at NTL who will accept ownership of these problems that have been ongoing since March - 2003! The stock answer from NTL to any telephone enquiry (premium rate) is "don't know". In 2 years with NTL I have NEVER had a response to an e-mail requesting technical support.

As soon as I have the time to research a suitable replacement they will be receiving a visit from the Spanish Archer. AOL's unlimited 256k looks quite attractive at £19.99/month with free modem & no setup costs. There's a lot of useful info here.

7. Gagan26Leeds

Gagan26Leeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I've recently signed up for this NTL broadband offer, when signing up online the £50 install charge was discounted but I've now been told that they will be charging me for this as I'm getting the free Xbox. Does anyone know if I could make NTL honour this £50 install charge discount?

Also is there a choice over what kind of modem you can have, e.g. Usb or network enabled, as I was told there was no choice and there is only one kind of modem available. Someone mentioned in one of the earlier posts that there is a choice?

Cheers,

G

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    depends if you are in ex C&W area but modem is USB and Ethernet. i would push for free install or atleast half price, if the house has ntl already its a 30 second job! if not then a bit more complex.

9. Gagan26Leeds

Gagan26Leeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for that, I managed to get it for half price! :)

I'm due to have my NTL installed in a few weeks. I've decided to go down the Ethernet route. As I have previously being connecting my modem by USB, what do I now need for my Ethernet connection to work?

I believe I need to purchase a specific card?
    Also would I be able to connect an old Mac to the broadband connection?

Cheers,

G

10. Bigweed

Bigweed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am about to go with NTL for broadband, and was wondering why people are saying to get a network modem, not a USB one??? Cheers

Bigweed

11. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,455
    I would urge anyone considering signing up to NTL to visit this link. Here you can compare numerous ISPs for speed, reliability & customer service. I would suggest comparisons between NTL, Freedom 2 Surf, NDO, Nildram, Vista & Zen. You will find NTL struggling a long way behind all the other ISPs I have mentioned in all categories. I think it speaks volumes for NTL's service ethic that they prefer to give away toys rather than address their obvious shortcomings.

12. Gagan26Leeds

Gagan26Leeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got an ABIT NF7-S....does anyone know if I still need to purchase an 10/100 ethernet card?

Had a quick look at the manual and it doesnt mention anything about an 10/100 ethernet card.

G

13. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +711
  14. Kevo

Kevo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    Ethernet is a lot more robust and stable than USB when it comes to networking. It's what it's designed for. USB (1.1) is flaky at the best of times!

Plus you free up a usb socket for other use.

For the cost of a Ethernet Card, (about £10?) it's well worth it.

15. Apnomis

Apnomis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I use NTL and am more than happy with it, and from knowing friends on some of the BT based offerings I consider myself to have the best deal. I have my BB connected from my TV STB directly to my PC via Ethernet cable and it is very fast and very stable. It has a few "quirks" with displaying certain sites, but this is in the minority.

The 1Gb download limit is rarely enforced, you won't be disconnected if you breach it, it's aimed at pirates and KaZaA users that are doing 1Gb a day, every day! Also I've left mine on all day downloading huge files (last one being the complete version of Linux Mandrake 9.2) and it was all finished by the time I got home from work!

One thing that everyone seems to be overlooking so far is that NTL's £24.99 service is not a 512k service, it is a 600k. It may sound small but it soon adds up when downloading a big file. It's also worth pointing out that from September (I think) the service will be increased to a 750k service for no extra monthly charge...

16. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +900
    I wouldn't sign up to NTL again if they were giving away cars with their subscription.
    The worst company I have ever had the misfortune of dealing with.

17. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    hey people well i actually work in ntl sales and the deal is if u aint got broad band u can take 750k (£24.99) or 1.5mb(£37.99) wave the free install (charge u £50) and ul get free xbox new boxed inc 1 controller headset midtown madness2 game and 2 months memebership to x box live.
    u can pay £2 extra a month for extra ip address but ul only need this if u want to play online while using ur pc online
    the x box remains urs but u do need to keep on the 750k or 1.5mb for the 1st 2 months! after that u could reduce it to the 300k (£17.99)
    x box gets delivered after instal usually bout 4 days after

18. Crocodile

Crocodile
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,455
    The prosecution rests....

19. alex250

alex250

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

thought this was a forum about finding information not pulling people up on how they type

20. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    krismc does this apply to all regions????

21. rhoamish

rhoamish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm happy with the NTL broadband service. There has been a couple of problems with email recently, but nothing major (I had a morning where it wasn't working, then a couple of hours one afternoon). The broadband access has always been intact.

Best of all, it's really easy to set up and get going. I'm not one for complicated set-ups...

22. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    hi yes i believe it is in all regions! :thumbsup:

sorry if my english isnt 100% and i had a typo error but well im at work answering calls trying to make money and help u guys as ur there wen i need help so didnt think the spelling etc was a point to be picked on spesh when were talking money here!
    besides if i had perfect english id be a teacher :lesson: and if my typing was perfect id be a touch typist but its not so im here selling! :laugh:

any probs or questions pm me if u like a may be able to help and im a lot more clever tha customer services :laugh: :cool:

23. acollins

acollins
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I sthis a special promotion, ie a promotion code that needs to be entered on line or is it only available if you call. I cant see it mentioned on their website anywhere.

Is there a catch or is it a Free XBox.

Cheers

24. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    its standard promotion.the "catch" is £50 setup cost no free month on bb but think of it as xbox and game £50 only pay the extra £2 a month fee if u plan on using the xbox online sametime as using pc online otherwise u dont need it ok peeps.dont order online the online team take forever to arrange ur install ring in ask about the x box offer the x box remains ur property! not ntl on a rental service scheme etc ie u cud sell it if u wanted

25. Roohster

Roohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +900
    That wouldn't be difficult Kris....

26. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    The catch is you have to deal with NTL!

Everyone i know on NTL has had nothing but trouble, and why on earth do you need to pay £2 a month extra to play Xbox at the same time as using a PC?

27. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    because as stated u would need to ip adds!
    and thats what they charge you for! you dont have to have 2 but you wont be able to play online gaming aswell as surf at the same time

28. DazJWood

DazJWood
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there no way round playing xbox live and being online via PC at the same time?

I thought if all devices (PC and XBox) were connected to a network and the network connected to broadband then you wouldn't need individual IP addresses? Does thismean you couldn't have networked PCs sharing the same connection then?

Daz

29. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    I would stick with Pipex, im with Zen ADSL now, i Had NThelL and since leaving them because they could not solve my fault after 1 month of trying i now have had 5 months of EMail, no download limits, not getting disconnected from downloads, customer service, faster downloads etc.. etc.. need i go on. Just get a Xbox for £99.