NTL boxes - programme timers?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Duncan Harvey, Oct 23, 2001.

1. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My parents had NTL installed yesterday and when I went round to have a look at it I was stunned that there was no obvious way to programme timer events.

Is this just a low standard box (Pace)or are all NTL set top boxes like this.

Its really annoying as I want to record programmes off different channels through the day and night and cant see a way of doing this.

Admittedly I've only spent 20 mins playing about with it so there may be a way

Can anyone help

thanks

Duncan

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The curent stbs supplied by NTL are the Pace 4001 range.
    To set the timer you need to acces the EPG using the guide button on the remote.
    Select the program you wish to record and press the red "Reminder " button.
    You can then set to to "autotune" by pressing the blue button.
    The box needs to be left switched on, with any channel selected, for the timer function to work - if switched to standby the program will not be recorded.

Unfortunately this stb does not have a timer lock function which could result in someone accidentally over-riding the timer setting and selecting a different channel whilst your selected program is being recorded.

[ 23-10-2001: Message edited by: cotopaxi ]

3. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the advice.

All in all its a pretty shabby standard of technology isnt it...

4. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Like a lot of stuff these days.

Computers and Digital STB's especially. If we bought/rented anything else as unreliable and generally crap as these things we'd have taken them back on the first day of ownership. Just being able to reset something that constantly crashes doesn't mean it works. Sometimes I think technology is moving ahead too fast for our competence to actually apply it.

[ 23-10-2001: Message edited by: pointon ]

5. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm ex-Cable & Wireless and now with NTL - sadly. Don't know if it's the same for you but to set a timer event, I have to set a reminder for a programme by selecting the programme I want to record using the green button in the TV guide or the on-screen What's-on-now box. Then go back to the menu where you choose from TV guide, options, favourite channels etc... press the yellow button to view reminders and then select that reminder with the green button again to set it to automatic. This means that instead of reminding you of the programme starting, it will either change the channel automatically, or switch on to that channel automatically if the box is switched off at the time.

As I'm in an ex-C&W area, using the Pace DiTV1000 box, I'm not sure whether it's the same process. I would imagine so, but don't quote me. Hope this helps.

6. framcastle

framcastle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Previous replies help me, thanks but what settings are needed for a DVD recorder with HDD (Panasonic DMR EH50) to tie it in with STB settings?

7. mike7

mike7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +512
    If I'm reading this right you are looking at contributions to the Forum on the subject from 2001. NTL now use a Samsung (silver coloured) box for their digital service. Sadly there is no way of programming this box to switch itself on at a particular time on a selected channel. The only thin you can do is to leave it on, set for the channel you wish to record and then set your recorder to switch on to AV1 or 2 (whichever you use) and you get a result. Not ideal by a long way, but that's about all you can do, unless anyone knows different. Before I upgraded to a faster Broadband I had a Pace box. The solution is just the same. I'll give Pointon's solution a go to see if the Samsung is capable of switching itself on at a particular time.

8. framcastle

framcastle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Mike7. I had realised the 2001 connection, but the problem seemed the same. Progress in 4 years....Nil! I have the Samsung box with the DVD on AV2.
    I know the usual answer to problems is RTFM (Read The Flipping Manual or something close!) but where is the Ntl manual. Online is little help, and emailling has produced no reply as yet.

However the Panasonic manualhas a section headed VIDEOPlus+ system for Satellite/Digital Terrestrial stations. The following allows you to make timer recordings for Sat/Dig.

Included are the instructions 1. Press (VIDEO Plus+) 2. 'PRESS THE NUMBERED BUTTONS TO ENTER A PLUSCODE NUMBER FOR A SATELLITE STATION (EG SkyOne) OR DIGITAL TERRESTRIAL STATION. I have tried entering different numbers but without a result. These are entered in full as a dummy then deleted.

The question is - what numbers to enter for Ntl?

Do you know of other threads? Thanks

9. framcastle

framcastle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    After further tries, I can program the Samsung for an Auto start using EPG, whether switched on or not. This is a start, so now just have to set up the HDD to match, and....Bingo!