1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL Boxes and digital audio out?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Dan Smiffy, Sep 15, 2004.

1. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Do any NTL boxes have digital audio outs on them? I currently have a series 4000 box with two scarts, one I'm feeding into a scaler (via RGBs) then into my plasma and the other I'm converting to L&R audio and sending directly to my amp (since my scaler only accepts digital audio feeds) however the results are out of sych by up to half a second = a big headache when watching anything that isn't sport!

Rather than go the analogue to digital converter route for the audio then whacking it into my scaler to re-sych with the picture, I wondered if any NTL boxes that work in my area (West London) have digital audio outs fitted?

I've searched but couldn't find an answer so would be grateful if anyone has any ideas. Cheers,

Dan.

2. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    doubt it. Most NTL boxes dont have the stereo left and right outs let alone Digital out. :D

3. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    None of the 4/2/1000 Pace range of boxes have digital outs. I'm using a new Samsung box and that doesn't have them either!

I'm amazed you are getting such a bad delay, I send the L/R audio into my DSP and RGB scart into my plasma and hardly ever get sync problems.

4. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hiya,

Thanks for the speedy replies fellas, even if it's all bad news! The delay is a result of my scaler doing its business, NTL's picture was awful (verging on unwatchable) when fed directly to my screen however the iScan improves things immeasurably. Sadly though it also introduces a half-second or so delay :( My DVD player's audio is fed through the scaler then into my amp so it's synched up with the picture but as I said above, I cannot feed L&R analogue into the iScan it's equiped with digital connections only - fair enough in this day and age. I'll need to buy an A2D converter then which I didn't want to ('cos as soon as I move out of my flat I'm getting a satelite box, one with digi out on board) but must, 'cos watching anything other than Sky Sports leads to a terrible migrane!

Cheers,

Dan.

5. Dan Smiffy

Dan Smiffy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorted - just bought product code DIGAC from Keene.co.uk: Analogue audio (+comp video) goes in and digital audo via optical or coax (+S video) comes out, for £40. Is almost magic!

Dan