NTL box too slow?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Nelviticus, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    I have NTL digital cable. I was at my friend's house last night watching him use the EPG on his Sky+ box and it really hit me just how sloooow my NTL box is in comparison.

Is this a problem with all NTL boxes, or is it likely that I have a slightly faulty one? It's a Pace DITV1000 and we've had it for several years. The EPG and other menus are so slow that they're barely useable and there are other occasional problems with it too, such as some channels sometimes not showing in the correct aspect ratio unless you unplug the box for a couple of seconds. I've always assumed that this was just a general problem with the technology, but having seen how easy to use my friend's set-up is I've realised that it doesn't have to be this way!

So, is it just me or are all NTL boxes a bit rubbish?

Cheers

Nelviticus

2. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    There are vast differences in menu navigations speeds across the SKY digibox range, ly 6 year old PACE is very slow compared to my 3 year old PACE SKY+ which in turn is probably slower than the current generation of STB's.
    I expect the same is true for NTL hardware, component spec is determined by price and over time faster processors are cheaper and newer STB's are able to manipulate data faster. Combine that with an ever increasing demand on the processor due to more graphic intensive menus and more data to handle then the speed or lack thereof becomes more apparant.

I would assume that the new Samsung NTL boxes are every bit as fast manipulating thier menus/listings as an upto date SKY box is allowing for the technical differences between the two platforms.

3. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Yes, I've just been reading old articles and saw some posts about the Samsung boxes. The general opinion seems to be that you have a snowball's chance in hell of getting NTL to give you one, though.

It must be depressing being a software programmer working for NTL, knowing that no matter how good your software is the users are going to hate it because of the dreadful hardware that it has to run on.

4. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975
    You will get one if you are an existing broadband subscriber via STB who wants to upgrade to the 1.5mbit connection (Pace models being incompatable as I understand it), although it might also be a regional issue.

5. Nelviticus

Nelviticus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    No, I have a separate cable modem connected to a separate cable point so the STB is nothing to do with my internet connection. I'll give it a shot though if I can get through to customer services!

Regards

Nelviticus

6. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    I wish you the very best of luck.....Getting through to customer services is the easy bit, getting someone with a brain on the other end who will actually do anything is quite another (do they still play that poxy music while you hang on?)........ I was with NTL from the beginning (and TeleCentral before that), their TV cable service is much slower than SKY+ regardless of what box you have, trust me I've seen them all (well up until a year ago that is)......PQ, speed and cost are all in SKY's favour so I bowed to the enevitable......The thing is that NTL broadband is very good, maybe that's where all the bright ones work......
    If you can bung a dish up I'd consider going to SKY+............It is a pity that the cable companies can't get their acts together as they should have beaten SKY as it should have been a far better system as I personally hate having to give my money to the Austrialian dictator but.........

7. Pupster01

Pupster01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Totally agree with the above post i changed over to sky+ this weekend and Those nice people at NTL have even payed for it !!!!! How you ask

Well i decides that when going to sky id also change phone and broadband suppliers so gave NTL there marching orders. A week later they phone me asking why im leaving so i tell them there broadband was slow and unreliable that i wanted record features and that once i was no longer using the tv service i would have to pay phone line rental.

There reply was that the Pace STB are unstable and could well be the cause of the broadband problems so they would change it for a cable modem and would throw in 3 months Free broadband access ( 3 X £25 = £75 ) + 1 years free line rental (12 X £9.50 = 114)

So total cost to install sky+ £99 total saving from NTL £189 Effectivly they paid for the the sky installation and 3 months subscription ;)

8. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Well done that man!

The cable modem is far more reliable for broadband, using the STB for it is useless.....

9. Starburst

Starburst

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +975

Bloody brilliant :clap:

10. MikeHarrison

MikeHarrison

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The hardware is quite capable of running a perfectly acceptable user interface - there's more than enough processor power, unfortunately it's just totally bogged down by umpteen layers of bloated, poorly written software. If I were Pace, I'd be depressed at how bad the software makes their hardware look.

11. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd add that it also pays to phone Sky from time to time to find out if they have any promotions running - they don't tell you unless you ask. I saved almost £20 over the next three months with a promotional package, even though it didn't change any of my channels.

12. GrahamMG

GrahamMG

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
    Urm, don't Pace make the SKY+ box.......No problem with that one.....
    NTL have missed the boat, which is a shame for competition but they have nobody to blame but themselves there TV service has poor picture bit rates, lousy interface and its slow. Oh and keeping hold of bright people is also a problem if the steady stream of engineers coming back here is anything to go by....Thing is those that went to SKY didn't come back....Read into that what you like!

13. Pupster01

Pupster01
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Just a quick one but if you work for any of the Dixons company's ( no im not in the retail section ) you can currently get sky world and familly pack half price which works out at £20 a month :clap: thats even more cash saved :clap: