NTL box to output RGB

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by systemsdead, Jan 23, 2005.

1. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
    NTL box to output RGB
    any ideas just got the thor 1.5 scart lead gone to set it up in ntl settings on stb only gives options of s-video or composite,connecting to 36inch tosh,its a pace box no clue on which model it is

2. StevieDvd

StevieDvd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +151
    The later Pace models had RGB & composite and the earlier model had s-video & composite, the vcr scart out is composite only as I recall.

3. systemsdead

systemsdead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,649
  4. Pieman1972

Pieman1972
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have a Samsung Box and have the choice of RGB/Composite.....

AFAIK NTL will not change the box unless there is a "fault" ;) Whether not outputting RGB is considered a fault I don't know (however I must admit I thought all NTL digital boxes gave the RGB option [TV Guide - Settings(5) - TV Screen Settings (3)])

HTH...... :)

5. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I too have the Samsung box. My scart connection (only one I have) currently connect L/R and video (composite).

Can I get a different scart lead which gives proper RGB or do I need to swap the box?

Thanks for any advice

David

6. geewhizz

geewhizz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +84
  7. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah - but I don't have scart in on my amp - I have got composite, s-video and component......the scart I use ATM is scart - composite - I need a scart to RGB / Component me thinks - AMP has Mark Grant component to plasma

:)

8. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

I have just checked in my setting and my Samsung will output RGB so it is just the cable I am short of - that said - there is no guarantee that Ntl don't just shove out RGB with composite quality.......

9. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    It's not going to be as simple as that :(
    Your cable box will output a version of RGB that has 4 cables, RGBs, and therefore you wont be able to do video switching via your amp unless you have an Arcam AVR250/300 as they AFAIK are the only amps that can switch RGBs.
    But then you are probably useing the component for DVD, so you wont be able to switch both YUV & RGBs, and the amp certainly wont convert RGBs to YUV. Therfore I think you will need to get an RGBs to YUV converter to do the switching of NTL & DVD with your amp.

Mark.

10. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    4 cables? I thought RGB was 5 cables - 3 vieo and L/R audio.....

My amp is Yamaha DSP AX750SE which seems to do a pretty good job at getting anything and stuffing it out as anything else (obviously it can't improve quality, just convert it as good as it comes in is the best it can do!)

So for example it takes composite video from Ntl ATM and delivers it as component to the plasma. Obviously at a lower quality than if I get RGB to the AMP.

I get the feeling I am missing the point here somewhere though..........

11. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got this setup, you need a RGB-Scart to Component-3phono + R/L-2phono.

Either the JS one here or the cheaper Keene ones here and here.

I use both the Keene ones as I need to convert both ways either side of my amp for the RGB TV scart input. The converted component feed to my PJ is much nicer then the composite from the NTL box.

12. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You've lost me here - why convert to a component into a box that will already do this for you - why not stick with rgb in and let my amp do the work? Still confused!

:(

13. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Your receiver will NOT convert RGB!!!! As I said before, very few receivers can work with RGB and AFAIK even those that can can only pass it through with no conversion.

RGB from scart is 4 video cables plus the 2 for stereo audio - a total of 6 cables.

If you need to do video switching via the receiver then you will need to convert the RGBs video signal to YUV component with one of the boxes suggested by ailean. Otherwise stick with feeding composite into the receiver from NTL.

Mark.

14. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Right so on top of the JS converter (pre AV amp) I need a scart cable with six cables coming out of it - 4 video and 2 audio.

Then (assuming I can just put the two audio into the amp) I then need another set of component cables from the converter to the amp - can't just put into plasma as need to switch to other sources.

Apologies if I am being dim - but what is the fourth video cable for?

:confused:

15. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Yes, scart to 4 video + 2 audio or just take the audio separate if the STB has phono outputs for audio.

Yes you need the above cable, JS-Tech converter and a set of component leads. All getting expensive, but the results should make it worth while!

The fourth cable is a sync signal.
    Don't appologise for asking questions, after all that is how I learnt it in the first place.

Mark.

16. dmurfet

dmurfet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There is / was a JS for sale in the hardware section, but I think it has gone - can I get the scart cable from Mark Grant - I like the otehr stuff I have from him already! I'll ask in the cable section....

17. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    The JS-Tech converters crop up from time to time in the classifieds, but they never hang around long as there is alway somebody ready to snap them up!
    I don't think Mark Grant does scart leads, but ask anyway as I might be wrong, or he may have a good suggestion on what to buy.

Mark.

18. ailean

ailean

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had to draw it all out on paper to figure it out for my setup. ;)

You will need the following;
    1. One of the three RGB->Component converter boxes in my previous post
    2. A good quality RGB Scart->Scart lead between the NTL box and converter
    3. A good quality set of component cables/stereo phono cables between the converter and Amp

That'll work for the JS and one of the Keene boxes (swap the stereo phono cable for a stereo mini jack to phono cable) and for the other Keene box you need Scart->5 phono lead (component + stereo). :lesson:

Oh and a power socket to plug the converter into, I run out all the time so just thought I'd mention it. :D