1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NTL and XBOX-for idiots...

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by chrissandgate, Dec 9, 2003.

1. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can one of you wonderful techeads PLEASE help me out? Here's what I HAVE~a pal xbox, some disc things, a computer thing upstairs which is connected to an NTL set top box thing. This NTL box gives me 600k's worth of "broad band", apparantly. I would LIKE to be able to get into this Live malarky with the rest of you. I asked the nice people at NTL and they said for an extra £5 i could do it, but not through a set top box. This is were you lot come in...what do i need to buy? who do i need to bribe? can it be done, and how?

2. hulkhead

hulkhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    here goes, this is how i connect (wired) although you can go wireless and use other solutions:

NTL STB (600k) to Linksys BEFSR41 (cable \DSL router with 4 port switch) via ethernet cable plugged into the WAN port - then connect both the xbox and pc to the linksys again using ethernet cable to one of the other 4 ports.
    Follow the linksys easy setup guide to pick up the NTL ip address (for beginners) or do it manually. Done.
    The linksys assigns DHCP adresses to the pc and xbox thus allowing your to play and surf at the same time with one broadband connection. There is no need to pay NTL an extra fiver.

Hope that makes sense and enjoy xbox live!!

3. chrissandgate

chrissandgate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cool, thanks. Can I still use the little ethernet to usb adaptor that ntl gave me or do i have to have some sort of network card in the computer? Where is the cheapest place to buy said kit. If anyone knows a different way to do this please let me know.