NTFS Formated HDD & Blue Ray Player

tangomalik

Standard Member
Hi Ppl :lease:

In order to copy movie files larger than 4.5GB, I formated my external USB 3 HDD to NTFS, but now my Samsung series 6 TV is not recognising the HDD.

Is there any smart blu ray player which can recognize my HDD and play movies and photos from it on to my TV?

Alternatively, is there a way to hack into a blu ray player system menu and then to make it read both formats, PAL and NTFS.

Any help and guidance will be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Highly unlikely. The Samsung TV, and BluRay player probably need the disk filesystem to be FAT/FAT32. You can try formatting in ExFAT and see if either pick it up (similar filesystem, but 4gb restriction lifted)

exFAT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

grahamlthompson

Distinguished Member
Some kit (Linux based) will accept EXT3 drives. However if the TV is DNLA compliant you should be able to stream these files from a PC direct to the TV.

tangomalik

Standard Member
Highly unlikely. The Samsung TV, and BluRay player probably need the disk filesystem to be FAT/FAT32. You can try formatting in ExFAT and see if either pick it up (similar filesystem, but 4gb restriction lifted)

exFAT - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hi Matt

Just tried after formating a partition on my hdd to exFAT but TV is not recognising it, I think TV is set to look for FAT32 only as I tried a USB which is formated to FAT32 and the TV is finding it.

Not sure if samsung released any firmare upgrade to include exFAT formats for its TVs...:confused:

tangomalik

Standard Member
Some kit (Linux based) will accept EXT3 drives. However if the TV is DNLA compliant you should be able to stream these files from a PC direct to the TV.

Hi Graham

Yes TV is DLNA compliant and I can watch movies through DLNA from my PC, but in order to free my pc hard drive, I transfer all my downloads onto HDD or grab a copy from mates in the office and want to attach HDD directly onto TV or via blu ray player...:rolleyes:

Matt_C

Distinguished Member
Well, why not connect the HDD to your computer? You can still use it exactly as you did before, but instead of plugging the HDD into the TV/BRP, just leave it plugged into the computer and stream from it using DNLA

Kilian

Novice Member
The new Pioneer and current Oppo BDPs support ext. USB NTFS formatted HDD but generally limit to 2TB drive I understand. Player support for files and resolution vary esp. mkv but generally fine for DVD and Blu-ray.

fatfingers73

I bought a Sony S580 yesterday. It plays files from my NTFS HDD.

Hope that helps.

tangomalik

Standard Member
The new Pioneer and current Oppo BDPs support ext. USB NTFS formatted HDD but generally limit to 2TB drive I understand. Player support for files and resolution vary esp. mkv but generally fine for DVD and Blu-ray.

Hi Kilian

I found OPPO but that is way too pricey. I found pioneer DMP BP-75 which is £ 225 from amazon. Will check some other models as well. Thank you for your advice anyway.

tangomalik

Standard Member
I bought a Sony S580 yesterday. It plays files from my NTFS HDD.

Hope that helps.

Hi Fatfinger73

I am looking for a unit from argos as this way I can spread the cost over 12 months. Sony S580 is about £400 from amazon whereas, pioneer DMP BD 75 is for £ 225. Checked argos website but they don't have either of these models. May be in a few weeks time.

Thanks anyway.

fatfingers73

It's only £400 if you need multi region blu-ray. I paid £129 for mine from prc direct. This is multi region for dvd only.

Built in wifi, plays everything I've tried from my ntfs hdd. And has loads of streaming apps (iplayer etc).

Hi Fatfinger73

I am looking for a unit from argos as this way I can spread the cost over 12 months. Sony S580 is about £400 from amazon whereas, pioneer DMP BD 75 is for £ 225. Checked argos website but they don't have either of these models. May be in a few weeks time.

Thanks anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom