nstc compatible

Crazy Snake Man

Standard Member
Reaction score
hi, is this standard now in newer tvs - or do u still need to check in the manual?

was going to get 37/40 lcd/plasma (up to £1k) but so much choice abd so many different opinons, thinker safer to get budget £200 crt for while.

i asked the exacct same quesiton yesterday! Didnt really get any helpful replies - from my research it seems some are not NTSC compatible but i dont know how common. Looks like im going to have to take pot luck!

Also i dont think manufacturers alwasy even mention if they are ntsc compatible. I was trying to test out sets with an ntsc dvd however some dvd players convert the signal to pal.

Why on earth would you buy a CRT, i dont really think its worth waiting for technology progression - the flatscreen revoltuion is well underway and prices are good. Sounds like your waiting for less choice, and for everyone to agree what to buy (this isnt going to happen and choice is good.)

Yes...this is something I need to find out too. I assumed all tv's were NTSC compatible.

My reasons are simply because I have a US PS3 (I haven't even tried it yet, been sitting in its box) which I got as a birthday gift from the states (I wish they'd just given me the cash instead and let me buy the UK one here). Now, I assume that all tvs are NTSC compatible because a friend of mine got his PS3 from Hong Kong (which means its NTSC) and got it working with some lame 37" TV from ebuyer that I've never heard of (cost £550). He works in the games industry and reckons that all hdtvs can take NTSC. Mind you, he is crappest so called expert in his field in the history of experts which has lead me here to find out if hes right or not.

I'm looking to get the Samsung M87 46" so I'm hoping the PS3 will work with that. I'm thinking if a cheap 37" can make it work then why wouldn't the more high performance ones do the same. If anyone knows, that would be helpful to know.:lease:

Oh and mate...I'd have to agree with Audiophile...dont bother with the CRT

Basically, any TV from a "big" manufacturer will be able to display NTSC video. You should think of it as a standard feature.

My reasons are simply because I have a US PS3 (I haven't even tried it yet, been sitting in its box) which I got as a birthday gift from the states (I wish they'd just given me the cash instead and let me buy the UK one here)
Well, if you were going to run your PS3 in NTSC, that'd be a bit of a waste of its HD capabilities!

In Europe we have the "HD Ready" logo. If you see that on a TV it guarantees that the TV will be able to show both American/Japanese standard (60hz) HDTV signals as well as European (50hz) ones. That doesn't *guarantee* compatibility for the old fashioned Standard Def NTSC system but it's a very good indicator.

AdamChow - yes, the Samsung will show your PS3 just fine.

Hi Lyris, thansk for your reply. I had read while all sets were capable - some manf (especailly US ones) would purposely disable the multisystem capability which is what made me worry.

Your post seems to read that NTSC/PAL is not a current standard anymore, rather 50hz or 60hz - does this only apply to things like high def consoles, HD or anything with a proper resolution?

For example i know normal DVDs come in NTSC and PAL flavours.

The reason im asking is i brought my dad a Linksys Media centre extedner (compostie or componetnt out) and the guy is selling it as its NTSC and wouldnt work on his set!

50 and 60hz are basically the different scan-rates that are left over from the NTSC and PAL days. But even those are disappearing because in Europe, most video games now run at 60hz and all HD DVD and Blu-ray discs also run this way. The two different scan-rates (50/60) are basically the leftovers of the old PAL and NTSC systems.

When you put an "NTSC" DVD into your DVD player now, it's very likely you're not actually watching it in NTSC at all. You'll be watching a picture that has some of the same characteristics of the old NTSC system - that is, 480 lines, 60hz scan rate - but the colour won't be NTSC, it'll either be RGB, Analogue Component or Digital Component depending on what type of connection is being used to get it to the TV.

High Def consoles: I think for HD signals, they only use the 60hz scan rate (like NTSC does). So with HDTV, there are still different standards for Europe and America... but in Europe, a lot of the stuff just uses the US standard because all our HDTVs support it anyway.

I hope that makes some sense!

The reason im asking is i brought my dad a Linksys Media centre extedner (compostie or componetnt out) and the guy is selling it as its NTSC and wouldnt work on his set!
If you connect through Composite - you'll get NTSC, the real deal, in all its 1950s-style glory. If that works in colour, then your TV is NTSC compatible.

If you connect through Component, you'll get what's referred to 480i, or perhaps a choice of other (HD?) resolutions as well.

thanks thats very informative and explains a pretty complicated change over of standards! I thought their must be some international standardisation creeping in with the HD era and resolutions...

It will be connecteced via component at 480 or 720 so it should be fine! Thankyou

thanks all!

i dont really want to get a crt but worried about buying wrong thing esp, as not a small amount, worried about drag, screen burn, motion blur, etc

just want hd lcd/plasma for watching tv, sports, dvds and gaming - eventually going to hd - looking at tvs with 1mpixels which i understand will give me 720. dont yet have a 360 or ps3

well persoanlly i wouldnt say screen burn or similar is a reason NOT to buy a flatscreen. The advatnages far outweight the ngatives unless you dont mind a ton of crt in the corner of your room!

You wouldn't have to worry about screen burn with an LCD. In fact that's one of the reasons I started buying them in the first place.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom