• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

NSLU2 as Media Server in Vista

tcrown

Established Member
Hi all,

I've just bought an NSLU2 as a cheap NAS solution and to use for playing music etc through my PCs.

I had assumed I could just transfer my music to it and access it in Media Player direct from my PC and my daughter's, so once I had mapped it as a drive on both PCs, I started transferring all my WMA lossless files.

I then went to my daughter's Vista PC upstairs, opened Media Player told it where the drive was on the network and clicked "add to library".

It seemed to be finding the files but not adding them, so I went on the web for advice.

I did a search on AVforums and also via Google for advice, but everything I could find said the NSLU2 had to be "Unslung" with new firmware and have Twonkyvision or similar installed to make it into a media server.

I didn't have time to do this last night, so closed internet explorer, to discover that Media Player had found the music files and displayed them as normal, with album art. It also played them without any additional software.

So basically, if you have a new NSLU2 and Vista PCs (don't know about XP), you don't need it to be Unslung and you don't need additional software. It just works.

I assume this is due to the latest firmware but don't really know.

As I had searched extensively for info and found nothing that said it now just works, I thought this might be helpful to others.

Cheers,
Ian

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom