NR1710 pre-out to MA5300 passthrough via (unbalance 4)

xero00cool

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
my first post/question in this forum. Greatly appreciate any advise on a current problem/issue i am facing connecting the above mentioned MA5300 & NR1710. I just received my 2nd hand (looks brand new) MA5300 yesterday and got some listening done via USB connection via Macbook & Android phone. Speakers connected are just the very entry level 607. I will upgrade guys : ) just give me some time to reload my bullets in wallet first lol. Therefore, sound is working correctly at least.

NR1710 and the 607 and centre and two Sony atmos was my initial setup (via Audyssey) before i got the MA5300. As i have read and hopefully understood correctly, MA5300 can be added to this home theater setup to just power the FRONT speakers right ? NR170 pre-out is connected to MA5300 UNBALANCE 4 input like how the manual stated. And i manage to setup PASSTHRU in MA5300 to UNBALANCE 4 input after reading the manual. However, once i exit the setup up mode of MA5300, i am not able to select UNBALANCE 4 input as it is no longer present. All the rest of inputs are selectable? Is this normal?

I am stuck from this point onwards as i tried running Netflix shows, youtubes, or even HEOS via the NR170 and cannot get any sound out to the FRONT speakers. Really appreciate any of u who can help debug this issue, and thank you for your time.

Have you used a trigger cable from the Marantz to the Macintosh? From looking at the manual a signal via the trigger connection will auto select the assigned passthrough input, rather than you having to manually change to the input (which is probably un-selectable manually when assigned as an input for passthrough).

Upvote 0
oh that trigger connection is compulsory?
I would think so, as the idea is that when you switch on the marantz it auto turns on the macintosh and sets it to the selected passthrough input to save you having to do it manually.

Upvote 0
Just make sure you use the dc out on the marantz and go to the passthrough input connection on the macintosh.

Upvote 0
alright thank you i will get a monaural mini-plug to connect them. thank you so much.
The macintosh states to use a stereo plug as this will also illuminate the meters. However on further reading a mono plug works and just prevents the meters from being illuminated when in passthrough mode. Go for the monoplug like you said as that is what the marantz manual states, and at least you know the meters not illuminating in passthrough mode is not a fault when you hook it up.

Upvote 0
thanks for the additional tip. looking forward to a successful hookup and will revert again.
Let us know if it does the trick, and if not others might be able to help to get you setup.

Upvote 0
Works perfectly like u said. Mono mini plug connected, auto power on MA5300 when NR1710 is turned on, WITHOUT illumination on MA5300 meter display, front center display panel does light up to show it is in PASSTHROUGH mode.

Thank you for saving my time on this issue @TheHighFlyingBirds

I wish the manual on the MA5300 could have included a BOLD HIGHLIGHT word/quote stating that it is COMPULSORY to have the trigger input connect in order for PASSTHRU mode to work lol.

I hope this post would be useful for anyone else attempting to setup MA5300 PASSTHRU mode.

Upvote 0
Works perfectly like u said. Mono mini plug connected, auto power on MA5300 when NR1710 is turned on, WITHOUT illumination on MA5300 meter display, front center display panel does light up to show it is in PASSTHROUGH mode.

Thank you for saving my time on this issue @TheHighFlyingBirds

I wish the manual on the MA5300 could have included a BOLD HIGHLIGHT word/quote stating that it is COMPULSORY to have the trigger input connect in order for PASSTHRU mode to work lol.

I hope this post would be useful for anyone else attempting to setup MA5300 PASSTHRU mode.
Glad its working now, and thanks for the update. Time to enjoy that beast of an amp :)

Upvote 0

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom