Question nr1605 questions

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mccartneyk, Jul 7, 2015.

1. mccartneyk

mccartneyk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just bought a pair of CM1 S2's (will become rears) and a nice matching center channel. Also got a Marantz 1605. From what I was told it was a 100wpc but looked it up after and its actually 50. I dont crank movies and music super loud. At medium volumes will this do the trick or am I going to regret not getting more power? I also am planning on putting some CM5 S2's in the front eventually. I am assuming at that point I will certainly need more power? Thanks for the suggestions!

2. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,247
    It really depends upon the sze of the room and the distance you are sat from the speakers? The further away you are then the more power is required to attain reference level. Reference level equates to 85db as measured from your primary listening position and this is the level to which the receiver calibrates its relative 0db volume level to during the auto calibration when the calibration mic is placed at your primary listening position within the room. This reference is the same as that used during the mixing of movie soundtracks and the same level to which movie theatres and cinemas are calibrated to. You are unlikely to often listen at this level, but it is the standard to which all receiver ideally need to meet in relation to you listening position. The NR1605 would be okay for small rooms, but may struggle to power speakers to reference without distortion in bigger rooms where you'd be sat further away from the speakers?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  3. mccartneyk

mccartneyk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sit about 11 feet away from my speakers. I am just not sure how much 50wpc can really power even larger book shelf speakers. I know it wont work with nice floor standing speakers.

4. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,247
    Larger speakers are no more difficult to powr than smaller speakers. Floorstanders are no more difficult to drive than bookcase cabinet speakers. The cabinet is simply bigger and the drive units used are the same as those used within smaller cabinets. Look at the sensitivity rating of your speakers and you'll notice that there's not much difference between them irrespective of their size. This is a fair indicator of how difficult speakers are to drive. The higher the rating then the more sensitive they are and the easier it is for an amplifier to drive them. Your listening space sounds to be of average size so there shouldn't be an issue, but you may be better with something more powerful if you like to play audio loud? The easiest test if to try it. After calibrating your setup, steadily increase the volume until the display says 0db. If you don't get distorted audio then there's no problem, but if the audio starts to distort turn the volume back down immediately. The distortion is a pre cursor to the receiver overheating and a potential cause of harm to that receiver. The receiver is more likely to go into protection mode though rather than any harm coming to it.

5. mccartneyk

mccartneyk
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I dont listen to audio super loud and have a toddler so wont be able to for quite some time so it sounds like I may be okay for the foreseeable future. Just noticed if I move my current speakers back and pick up even some CM6 S2's they say at least 70wpc but 100 would be better.

6. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,247
    The CM6 S2 are rated 30W - 120W into 8Ω. meaning they require a minimum of 30W and cannot handle more than 120 constantly. They don't require 70 watts as you state.