Npower gas problems - where do i stand?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by v CJ v, Jan 25, 2008.

1. v CJ v

v CJ v

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +432
    I really wanted to get this off my chest.

I bought my house as a new build in June 2005.

The builders set up the gas with British gas, which I switched over in September 2005 to Npower (at the time they were cheaper)

In September - October 2007, I received 5 letters from Npower stating "Sorry you're leaving us"........"I'm not" I continued to say on several telephone calls.

On 18th January 2008, noticed Npower had only been taking one direct debit (electric). So, I called them to discuss, only to find out November 5th 2007, my Npower account had been closed!

What?
    Why?
    Who's paying for my gas?
    When will I be cut off?
    .... these were my first questions.

1 week has passed, and things have gone from bad........ to worse.

It turns out, from June 2005 - November 2007 I have been paying for someone else’s gas (2 doors down) due to the builders giving the incorrect serial numbers to British Gas.

Bottom line is, I’ve paid no gas for 10 weeks (whether it's mine or not). I've been paying for someone else’s gas for more than 2 years. However, I use the automated meter reading service, so in theory, I have been paying for my own (I call them, give my new meter reading from the front of my house which is in fact mine, and if it’s £25, I will pay £25)
    Hopefully, it’s just a matter of the serial numbers being on the wrong accounts.

The process could take up to 6 weeks to sort.

In Npower's defense, it's not their fault (it's the builders) and their customer service have been excellent. I feel reassured this mess will be sorted, and I can begin paying for my own gas shortly.

Long post :oops: