nowtv question

blackmesa8

Ex Member
Reaction score
Have NowTv increased there quality since i was last with them ages ago when it was quite poor bitrate etc?

I see since i last used them there site design has changed. I have a chromecast ultra that would not be a issue would it? I know it supports chromecasts standard ones.

What is specifically also the TV pass and cinema pass like compared to Sky satellite versions of the same channels?

Thanks.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the content is 720p now, IQ is good enough but doesn't offer anywhere near as much resolution as Netflix and Prime, which goes up to 4K. The sound definitely isn't as good as its only stereo and the reason I cancelled my subs. I'll rejoin when they offer 5.1.

I'm pretty sure a lot of the content is 720p now, IQ is good enough but doesn't offer anywhere near as much resolution as Netflix and Prime, which goes up to 4K. The sound definitely isn't as good as its only stereo and the reason I cancelled my subs. I'll rejoin when they offer 5.1.

That is exactly the kind of thing i wanted to know. When i last used it, it was 720p only which is why i stopped. I may be willing to use that a long with Netflix and others.

Is there any important TV channels or anything it misses from the TV pass?
I am not interested in movies pass. It is too low quality for movies. Ill stick to Blu rays for the ones i want to watch lol.

That is exactly the kind of thing i wanted to know. When i last used it, it was 720p only which is why i stopped. I may be willing to use that a long with Netflix and others.

Is there any important TV channels or anything it misses from the TV pass?
I am not interested in movies pass. It is too low quality for movies. Ill stick to Blu rays for the ones i want to watch lol.
I think the picture is more stable than it was, but is 720p. I have the Entertainment package and watch on a Sony 55XD9305 and 43XD8088 and both have built-in Chromecast. My son watches on his laptop at Uni.. My Denon Amp can give me 5.1 pro-logic sound and for £6.99 a month I will live with it, but DD 5.1 and 1080p picture would be very welcomed..
I would like Watch and SyFy added to the lineup... Get these two and I'd be very happy!

My Denon Amp can give me 5.1 pro-logic sound
NowTV stereo audio always sounds deliberately nobbled to me with the surround channel mixed in-phase into L/R so it can't be decoded by a Dolby Surround decoder. This mode is for straight stereo playback like headphones (where Dolby Surround sounds phasey) and Sky seem to aim NowTV at mobile devices.

There are different 5.1 downmix modes on the Dolby Broadcast gear, technically referred to as:
LoRo - Left only/Right straight 2 channel stereo (surround can be mixed in-phase or omitted).
LtRt - Left total/Right total - Surround phase shift encoded, traditional Dolby Surround encoding for Surround/Pro Logic decoding.

Last edited:
The rubbish quality from NowTV boxes is one of the reasons that I won't buy into the service. On my existing kit I can get 1080p and DD5.1 audio via Amazon and Netflix. Just why Sky expect people to accept poorer quality levels is beyond me. OK, obviously, they don't want to impact their DSAT offerings but to offer a product that's clearly designed to sit in the streaming market, where competitors can do so much better, does seem odd to me. If Sky ever up their game then they'll get me as a customer. Until then, Amazon Video and Netflix are my friends .....

Clem

The rubbish quality from NowTV boxes is one of the reasons that I won't buy into the service. On my existing kit I can get 1080p and DD5.1 audio via Amazon and Netflix. Just why Sky expect people to accept poorer quality levels is beyond me. OK, obviously, they don't want to impact their DSAT offerings but to offer a product that's clearly designed to sit in the streaming market, where competitors can do so much better, does seem odd to me. If Sky ever up their game then they'll get me as a customer. Until then, Amazon Video and Netflix are my friends .....

Clem

I personally if i was Sky would with Satellite services. Attempt to make it as easy to use with interface and improvements as possible. With nowtv i would upgrade it to 1080p 8megabit so 8meg which is similar to Netflix movies Bitrate. But i would not allow Nowtv to have any 4K access that would infringe on the Satellite service too badly neither would i increase the bitrate of nowtv to that of the Satellites 1080p bitrate.

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom