Now You're Speaking My Language - AVF Movies Podcast Discussion Thread

Tom Davies

Editorial Contributor
Hello everyone! Welcome back to another AVF Movies Podcast discussion thread.

The next Movies Podcast hosted by @Casimir Harlow, @Simon Crust and @Mark Costello will be livestreaming on our YouTube channel on Wednesday 3rd November 2021 at 7:30pm

This month we'll be discussing the release of BFI's first 4K disc, The Seventh Seal (Nov 1st) and, in honour of it, our favourite restorations and reproductions of foreign language films. We'll also be talking Criterion, BFI and Arrow boxsets and which our favourite foreign language collections are.

But what we think is only as interesting (or less) than what you think! SO, as always, the most interesting responses will be discussed on the podcast!

- Is there a particular director whose foreign language work you particularly admire? Live action or animated!

- Are there any examples of world cinema on Blu Ray or 4K that have received loving releases or that are particularly close to your heart?

- Have you splashed out on any of the collected works released by publishers like Arrow, BFI or Criteron? Which have you been most tempted by?

In the box below, please detail why foreign films are boring and you don't like them.

Last edited:

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
I've only really scratched the surface of world cinema compared to some, but a few of my favourite/ most interesting international directors would include:

Yorgos Lanthimos
Lars Von trier
Park Chan wook
Alejandreo Gonzales Inarritu
Hayao Miyazaki
Denis Villeneuve

Many of which are now known for English language work, but their home stuff is just as impressive.

Blu Rays: Not a foreign film, but I have just got myself a copy of Arrow's An American Werewolf in London, too late unfortunately for Halloween.

To be honest though I'm barely qualified for this thread and I'm sure others will have loads more to contribute.

Russ 66

Distinguished Member
Directors, definitely agree with Yorgos Lanthimos and Lars Von Trier except most of their output is English language.
I would also add:
Takashi Miike
Stephen Chow
Park Chan-Wook
Woo-Ping Yeun
Thomas Vinterberg (The Hunt is amazing)
Jean-Pierre Jeunet (What happened to him, City Of The Lost Children was a beautiful looking film)

Blu Rays
Rams
Encounter Of The Spooky Kind 4K
Suspiria (1977) 4K
A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night
Border
Akira 4K

Anyone who thinks foreign films are boring are clearly incapable of reading and watching a moving image at the same time.
I hate dubbed films and TV, unfortunately I imagine 99% of people watched Squid Game dubbed.

Last edited:

systemsdead

Distinguished Member
- Is there a particular director whose foreign language work you particularly admire? Live action or animated!
Far too many to mention but at top would be
Bunuel - His quote “Thank God I’m an Atheist” says just about all you need to know.
Melville - 6 Masterpieces and a further collection of lesser but very cool gems.
Kim Ki-duk - put me on a path exploring the works of lesser known Korean directors.
- Are there any examples of world cinema on Blu Ray or 4K that have received loving releases or that are particularly close to your heart?
Hara-Kiri, Ordet, Mirror,The Turin Horse, M, Ludwig + 100s of others
- Have you splashed out on any of the collected works released by publishers like Arrow, BFI or Criteron? Which have you been most tempted by?
Sold most off my Criterion, Studio Canal, Bfi and Arrows off with only a few remaining the like of Herzog, Rossellini and Kurosawa and now mostly turn to digital purchases and streaming especially with the likes of iTunes selling some of the most acclaimed cinema titles ever from as little as £3 a piece including those Arrow/Criterions, tempted? sure I’d love that stunning Bergman set and would foam at the mouth for that new Chabrol set that might be coming but can't ever see me going back and paying even half the rrp on what they charge now.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES '22 TV Announcement Round-up, Plus, Most Anticipated Movies of 2022 and More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom