Now TV question

blackmesa8

Ex Member
Reaction score
So I hear that they are going to up the res they stream at from 720p to 1080p.
Will this be on devices like the Chromecast ultra or PS4? Or just their own device?

Thanks for any info.

Who knows? Lots of us are waiting to hear.

Clem

Subbed

So I hear that they are going to up the res they stream at from 720p to 1080p.
Will this be on devices like the Chromecast ultra or PS4? Or just their own device?

Thanks for any info.

They've been promising a move to 1080p for years now. I remain doubtful it will ever happen.

Well, there was that announcement/promise earlier this year, and a new NowTV box has recently surfaced, so perhaps it might actually be this year.

Clem

Read this so many times and it never happens. Skys high quality platform is Sky Q and even that is still only 1080i for its HD channels. Compared to Netflix or even iPlayer it looks soft, especially their cinema channels. In fact terrestrial HD look far superior.
Why would Sky upgrade Now TV to 1080p and leave their flagship at the lower res. Sky are and always will be a rip off.

Last edited by a moderator:
This whole thing makes no sense to me. Why release a new NowTV box with support for a Netflix app that handles 4K, but leave the Sky content at such a poor quality level? Sure, not gouging your other platforms makes sense, but I think that it comes down to two things. Firstly, the vast majority of NowTV subscribers aren’t worried about better picture or sound quality, and secondly, Sky treats its customers with contempt, and whilst they are fool enough to continue to pay for such deplorable quality, why would Sky bother doing anything about it? Having said that, NowTV quality is on a par with other players found on their boxes, so until they improve (which seems unlikely), which would then make NowTV obviously worse, there’s no imperative to make improvements. Sky’s announcements should be taken with a large pinch of salt — there’s still no news of the SkyQ IP-connected box either, which was also announced earlier this year.

As I’ve said before in the forums here, as much as I’d like to subscribe, whilst I can find the bulk of the NowTV content elsewhere, be it on Amazon Prime, Netflix or digital media, with better picture and sound quality, Sky won’t be getting any cash from me until things improve. Based on the current position, I suspect that my money will be safe for some considerable time yet.

Clem

Just purchased a sports day pass for the Brook fight later, switching back and forth between the sports pass channels and Cinema HD, the Now TV PQ is far better. Sky desperately need to step up their game on their flagship offering, it really is poor, it’s 2018 for gods sake.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom