Now TV and Netflix on Xbox One vs PS3/4

G33 M4N

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a 78mbps line with Ethernet-connected XB1 and PS4s. The PS4 is a recent replacement for the PS3 and both Sony devices managed Now TV and Netflix without any issues at 1080p. The Xbox One on the other hand struggles with both. Frequent buffering pauses and hugely variable quality makes using Now TV and Netflix impossible. Since I have Kinect and the excellent Xb1 media remote, this is very frustrating.

Has anyone else experienced this and, more importantly, has anyone found any ways to improve the Xbox One streaming TV performance?

Experienced it with NowTV but not Netflix. Only way to sort NowTV was to reinstall

I've not had a problem with Netflix at all. To the point I ditched all other methods of accessing it in favour of using the XBox One.

I had problems with NowTV stopping the stream every 5-10 minutes, connection was always on!
Anyway I checked my nat settings on Xbox and it was moderate so I configured dmz for XB1 and since then it has not buffered once!

Netflix is always solid for me, Now TV on the other hand is awful to the point that I had to cancel and go back to Sky HD

Likewise on both XB1 and PS4 for me. I've tried NOW TV a few times with the Sports pass and never had anything near what I'd call acceptable for the price they charge. Even at their highest quality, the streams they provide are fine for mobile devices but in the living room on a big screen (50" plus) below par compared to other services. This is hardwired on VM fibre 100mb connection.

Prime works flawlessly as well on XB1.

Likewise on both XB1 and PS4 for me. I've tried NOW TV a few times with the Sports pass and never had anything near what I'd call acceptable for the price they charge. Even at their highest quality, the streams they provide are fine for mobile devices but in the living room on a big screen (50" plus) below par compared to other services. This is hardwired on VM fibre 100mb connection.

Prime works flawlessly as well on XB1.

So your NowTV probs are with both MS and Sony consoles? Mine were only with the Xbox One.

I had problems with NowTV stopping the stream every 5-10 minutes, connection was always on!
Anyway I checked my nat settings on Xbox and it was moderate so I configured dmz for XB1 and since then it has not buffered once!

That is an interesting (and extreme) solution that I might have to try...

So your NowTV probs are with both MS and Sony consoles? Mine were only with the Xbox One.

Yep, I think my issue with NOW TV is different to yours and probably shouldn't confuse things in your thread! I'd agree that the stream on xbox app takes longer to lock onto the highest quality but dips and playback crashes are equally rare for me on both consoles.

FWIW I bought another Sports pass today. Again low quality but reading around their support forum that seems to be a product of live sports being only available in SD (bitrate 3450kbps on bw 26000kbps). Frustrating that the ad breaks are higher quality than the actual content! Comparing the two today, the PS4 seems to suffer more from framerate issues and the Xbox from compression.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom