1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now this is image retention!

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by gizlaroc, Aug 5, 2005.

1. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    Now this is image retention, the guy just bought a Toshiba plasma and look at it, he used this shot as everyone knows how long the FBI logo stays on the screen.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. phillfyspoon

phillfyspoon
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +76
  3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    now thats the stuff of nightmares :eek: and hopefully ithat will be the last time i see image retention :D

4. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    I wonder if they use NEC glass?

That is my worry with the new Pioneer screens, now they are with NEC, maybe the 4000:1 contrast ratio is because they are using NEC panels and Pioneer processing!

5. Nick_UK

Nick_UK
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +270
    There's a big difference between image retention and burn-in. Image retention goes away very quickly, burn in doesn't. You will see this effect on just about any plasma - it's an effect caused by the plasma gas, rather than the phosphors.

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    hmmm Tosh used to be panny rebadges, seems they dont any more! image retention looks like that i have seen on NEC screens. It is horrible regardless of whether it goes away quickly or not, and not something i would be looking at as a positive point of the screen infact its bloody awful.

(and this is not seen on Panasonic glass even when they are out of the box)

7. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is quite worrying.. I'm seriously in doubt now as to whether I should go out and buy a plasma.

I dont mind spending £2000 quid on a big screen tele if it does what it's supposed to do, but its disappointing to see that the picture quality on so many of the big screen teles out there (be they plasma, LCD or rear pro) can be quite poor (with solarisation, motion blur etc) and then to top if off, you have to worry about this screen burn thing..

I've been told by almost every salesman I've spoken to, that screen burn is NOT AN ISSUE with everyday / normal TV viewing - but i'm getting suspicious that it can occur randomly at any time ...

Also, it is possible to watch DVD widescreen movies on a plasma with the black bars at the top and bottom? or is there risk that this may get burnt into the plasma as well.. ? :(

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    not with a panasonic, it isnt an issue but NEC and Pioneer (now all Pioneer) it is a much bigger issue samsung tend to have quite bad image retention for first few hud=ndred hours too. The black bars wont burn but the middle of the screen will age faster as it is in use and the top bottom isnt but again with a sensibly set panny its not an issue other makes are more troublesome and some dealers use a bright white screen for a couple of hours to artificially age the panel to cover this up and reduce the customers experience but all they are doing is using up the limited life span of a product for example run a panny in dynamic maode and it will reach half brightness (industry standard for panel life in 15,000 hours instead of 60,000 in normal mode. So all thos elovely bright images you see in brightly lit shops are screens being killed off quickly...............

9. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that clarification HD, out of interst. how do Sony plasmas compare with the Panasonic with regards to screen burn?

I remember the chap at the Sony Centre telling me that all Sony panels have a specially developed technology which resists / prevents screen burn by rotating and moving pixels if they are static for a while -- apparently he said that only Sony used this technology and it would make their plasmas the most resistant to scren burn out there.

He did assure me that screen burn was not an issue with sony plasmas, but I can't help but feel there's still that element of risk... and that has been one of the reasons I've not gone ahead and bought the Sony 42MRX1 - splendid pic quality, but priced at 3 grand or so - its a lot of money, and screen burn after a few hrs of Cbeebies by the kids, is the last thing that I would need! heh,

10. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    All Sony plasmas are Samsung, Hitachi or some maybe NEC. SONY DO NOT MAKE PDP so i cant say how Sony compare but as Panny are the best in the business for screen burn they cant be as good!

11. stu954

stu954

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I get image retention on my sony when playing ps2, xbox etc but it really needs to be on for 2-3hrs before it becomes a problem.So a quick 5min break watching tv every hour seems to help. No problems at all with screenburn. I looked into this before i bought my plasma and if you're careful it shouldn't be an issue.

12. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +607
    I left the Gamecube on last night, which is the first time I have ever done that, I was expecting the worst when I came down and saw it at 8 this morning, however absolutely no retention at all, to say I gasped a sigh of releif would be a huge understatement!