Now that I have iPhonebrowser fully working is it possible to bipass iTunes?

Mickey123

I really do not like having to be tied into iTunes.

Id much rather plug my iPhone into me computer and just drag and drop files over much like you would do with a external hard drive. I see little to no need for iTunes

Can I do this with Aiff files? Where would they go if I can? Had a look but cannot see anything.

Is this possible to do with iPhonebrowser?

PoochJD

Hi,

I really do not like having to be tied into iTunes. Id much rather plug my iPhone into me computer and just drag and drop files over much like you would do with a external hard drive. I see little to no need for iTunes.
iTunes is useful for you to use, to obtain Apps from, as well as music. It also keeps your iPhone's software up to date. You can turn your iPhone into a small, portable Hard Drive via iTunes as well, so I don't see why you don't like it so much. It will do what you want it to do.

Can I do this with Aiff files? Where would they go if I can? Had a look but cannot see anything.
Unlikely. Aiff files aren't designed for iTunes or iPhones as far as I know. Only MP3's and Apple's own propriotary format (AAC files) can be put onto iPhones, in regards to music. As for where would they go - this is the whole point of using iTunes - to make putting music on your iPhone easy and simple! :) You appear to be wanting to do tasks, that iTunes can already do.

Is this possible to do with iPhonebrowser?
I have no idea, sorry. :( AFAIK iPhonebrowser is only designed to be a form of "Windows Explorer" for the iPhone, and not to necessarily put files into your iPhones folders, that it may not be able to access, unless said files have also been ported to your iPhone via iTunes.

To be honest, and with all due respect to you, if you've bought an iPhone, but didn't want to use iTunes, then would it not have been a good idea to have made enquiries about alternatives to iTunes, before you purchased the phone?! :confused:

Pooch

Mickey123

Hi,

Dont seem to need Itunes to obtain apps. I can do this direct from my Iphone.

I dont find itunes organizes my music very well at all. If i put a cd on there it plays back in whatever order it likes. Makes mix cds un mixed. Unless there is a way around this I dont know about.

I love my iPhone, but I dont like iTunes. Im happy with media player for listening to music and VLC for watching stuff.

Id much prefer drag and drop from my PCs hard drive to the iPhone.

Shame this isnt possible.

funkyspider

I'm pretty sure you can just drag and drop music to your iPhone using iTunes. Just choose to manage the music manually in iTunes. You should then be able to open iTunes connect your phone so it appears then just drag mp3 files from an explorer window and drop them on the iPhone link in iTunes. As for using other programs to play CDs etc just don't let iTunes be the default player

PoochJD

Hi again, Mickey,

Dont seem to need Itunes to obtain apps. I can do this direct from my Iphone.
Well, yes, you can buy and access apps from your iPhone, but there are many Apps that won't let you do this, and will ask you to use iTunes instead. The "DEXTER: THE GAME" is a good example, as it's 630mb to download!

Also, if your iPhone goes tits-up for some reason, you'll lose your apps, unless they've been backed-up onto your PC, or via iTunes itself.

I dont find itunes organizes my music very well at all. If i put a cd on there it plays back in whatever order it likes. Makes mix cds un mixed. Unless there is a way around this I dont know about.
Sounds like you haven't got iTunes set-up correctly! Make sure that when you insert a CD into your drive, and after it shows up in iTunes, that you clikc the little arrow that looks like a thicker version of this...

>

It's next to the "Title" bar. Click that, and you should be able to sort the CD tracks by track number, e.g. from last track to first track, or in numerical order (e.g. 1-12, etc). This may be the reason why they aren't appearing in order.

Pooch

simon69c

And make sure the shuffle button isn't toggled on! (It's the one with two arrows crossing over each other).

funkyspider

I must admit I still havent got the hang of iTunes syncing - it seems very restrictive to me. I use my main PC at home, my laptop on the move, my work PC and I'm about to reinstall windows 7 on my laptop and home PC. It seems that iTunes in this situation is going to be a bloody nightmare.

And just now.. I have some podcasts I downloaded via iTunes on my iPhone. I've just downloaded some podcasts on my PC, plugged my iPhone in to sync the PC downloaded podcasts only to be asked "All existing podcasts on the iphone will be replaced by the podcasts in your iTunes library - ok ?" no its not bloody ok. Surely it's not too much to ask to be able to download on the phone when I'm out and about and on the PC when I'm at home. This gets on my Tits

Last edited:

UEF

Yeah, it's an arse. But I guess it gives them better leverage as a music store if rights owners know that stuff cant be easily copied about.

Mickey123

This is my point. The only reason for iTunes is to drastically restrict the customer and drastically enpower Apple.

I mean come on, we paid for our purchase, would freedom be so bad?

I still say id rather have a drag and drop function. Music could be in one folder, phone back up in another, etc etc. You just drag back and forth what you want when you want, hence how I feel whats the point of iTunes? (Apart from the Apple empowerment mentioned above.)

I love my iPhone, but really am getting sick of Apple.

Mickey123

Hi mate,

Ive sen a few similar apps and they seem half way there. They dont seem to back up applications data. I rely heavily on 'todo' (An organizer app) Only iTunes seems to back it up fully.

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 4K OLED TV Review | The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom