1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now or Later Yamaha DSP-AX1?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by briggspaul, Sep 29, 2001.

Tags:
  1. briggspaul

briggspaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It's time to replace my trusty Prologic Pioneer amp, and go for a dolb digital amp.<br />I have seen the Yamaha DSP-AX1 for just over 900 pounds, and I am very keen on buying one, however I have noticed that it does not have dolby pro logic 2, (would I use it anyway?) would it be wise to wait until 2002 or just buy one now? I'm sure if I wait the cost will be 1500pounds? or more as Yamaha would want to compete with the new Denon..<br />(Does the RS232 interface allow you to software upgrade?)

Any advice? <br />Also I know this is not the speaker forum but what speakers would you recommend to use with this system?

Regards,

Paul.

2. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

I've been looking at this amp as well, since it seems good value, especially if you've seen it for £900! But I think there is a bit of a next generation going on now, with 6.1/7.1 discs, DVD-Audio/SACD inputs, and DPL II, none of which were really around 12 months ago!

So I think a unit with least some of these features would be a better option. DPL II, is really the biggest of all the newbies, since it improves the sound of those old pro-logic videos (remember them??) and analogue terrestial broadcasts, without any other changes.

As for now, the Denon 3802 and Marantz 7200 seem to stand out as up to spec, with various Onyko and Yamaha products coming "real soon". I don't think the AX1 upgrade covers things such as DPL II and 6.1EX/ES - since 6.1 has 6 equal power channels, a software upgrade wouldn't do that anyway!

Hope this helps!

3. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The DSP-AX1 will be replaced in 2002 only but will come with DPL II and DTS ES Discrete (6.1).<br />The Japanese do actually get an upgrade for the AX1 including the above and AAC decoding (for Jap. HDTV), but it includes HW changes and I am afraid it will not be offered in other parts of the world - see my post somewhere around here for more details.

Though I personally have always favored Yamaha perhaps it's time to consider Denon, the 3802 does indeed stand out - at least feature wise. Else wait for the AVC-11SR (estimated at GBP1750 based on the German price of DEM5500).