1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now I've really joined the club!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Wil, Nov 3, 2001.

1. Wil

Wil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hooray! I finally took the plunge and upgraded from my ageing Toshiba rear projector.

For a while the Ellie was top of the running but eventually I dared to go the second hand route seeing as you all seem to rate Roland so highly. If it weren't for your recommendation I wouldn't have dared go second hand.

Well, he didn't let me down. I have a Barco 801s mounted on the ceiling and a 7 foot screen painted on the wall framed with black wood and a VSE20 lido. The results are every bit as astonishing as you all keep declaring about CRT. Two feet away from the screen and I cannot see a single dot or scanline. I might just as well be at the cinema.

And Roland calls this miracle "half installed" and is coming back later to do the final convergence and sizing/tweaking.

Even my wife is declaring that it is like watching completely different films, you notice detail in the backgrounds you don't normally see. The first evening I didn't get near it. She and a friend watched "An Affair to Remember" (some old Cary Grant chick's movie) and they had an absolute ball. I was up to 3 am re-watching all my favourite clips.

So thanks everybody for recommending Roland. Unbelieveable.

Best video sequence for demos is what I call "the egg flight" at the start of Disney's "Dinosaur".

Incidentally, leads do make a difference. I put a snazzy one on the VHS and the resultant improvement was instantly visible.

Once you go front projection at this size there is no going back.

2. Jenz

Jenz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Wil that's great to hear. Roland is actually right. A proper install is a 2 stage affair with a second set of convergence and focusing both electrical and mechanical a few weeks after install. It gives the projector chance to settle in so to speak.

It also makes a further marked improvement!

Regards Jenz.

3. Paul D

Paul D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +391
    I've only got three more days to wait until my BD808s is installed (Tuesday), not that i'm counting!. :devil:
    This week i've bought a Quadscan Elite Scaler and a Pioneer DV-737 DVD Player in readiness. Plus over £200 in new cables!.
    Now all i need is for Roland to work his magic, then i will be well and truly skint!.
    Will it be all worth it? i will let you know in four days!!! ;)