Now and Next style EPG

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by shanz, Apr 23, 2007.

1. shanz

shanz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have NTL cable TV (now Virgin Media). It was OK. The on-demand was a bit flakey but I liked the fact that the now and next bar at the bottom of the screen was nice and small (albeit slow). You could watch a programme and at the same time, browse what was on that channel later, or what was on the other channels (while simultaneously viewing the current TV programme).

Now I own a Sony RDR-HXD560 which I really like although it seems a shame that you have to use the full page EPG to discover what else is on.

When you change channels, you briefly get something similar to a now and next bar at the top of the screen but you can't press down to see what is on later, or press left/right to show what would be on other channels.

Have a missed a trick or do I need to rely on the full page EPG?

2. bigtim

bigtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    There is a now/next thing accessible from the main EPG, but I'm bu99ered if I can remember which button it is right now..

3. shanz

shanz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes but...
    That is true (press i+) but I was hoping for something that didn't take over the whole screen and allowed me to watch the TV whilst browsing what else is on. You can do it on Virgin and Sky. It sounds like Freeview can do it but not the Sony recorder. I wonder if a firmware upgrade could fix it? When you first reach a new channel, you get a thin picture-in-picture band at the top of the screen which shows what programme is currently on. Pressing the directional arrows could allow you to scroll this display but it doesn't unfortunately!

4. bigtim

bigtim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Yeah I remember the now and next on NTL, was very useful.

It could be done as a firmware update, you could try mailing Sony as a suggestion (don't know how likely they would be to do it, but nothing ventured, nothing gained).

5. shanz

shanz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've emailed the suggestion to sony. We''ll see. Maybe they concentrate on their newer and pricier models now?

6. miceri

miceri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I have a similar problem with my Samsung digital box, thought it was arcane to need the entire screen for EPG - Why have manufacturers cut back on implementing this technology?

I remember seeing a picture in pitcure TV 10 years ago (Or more), but so few TVs have it...

I am of the opinion that once something is released mainstream, then that technology should be available as standard after a while.