1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novice with 36zp18p seeks advice

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Andrewp369, Oct 6, 2002.

1. Andrewp369

Andrewp369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I would be grateful if forum members could help me with my technical deficiencies regarding my TV/video/dvd and sky+ connections.I am sure that I am not getting the best possible results due to my own total lack of knowledge as regards the connections required, although I am reasonably happy with the pictures and sound I receive (probably because I don't know any better!). I have a Tosh 36ZP18P TV which is connected to a Sky+ box via scart 1. Scart 2 is connected to a Tosh DVD (SD210). They are also connected via an optical cable into DA1 on the TV (to allow dolby digital sound?) and yellow,red and white cables (right left and video on the DVD to right,left and comp video on the TV).Scart three is connected to a panasonic video recorder and the video and DVD players are connected via a scart lead as well.
    Are these connections condusive to giving me the best results?
    Also, how can I get dolby digital from both a DVD and my Sky+ box (on appropriate widescreen films) without moving the optical connection back and forward between the DVD player and the Sky+ box? I would be grateful for any replies on these issues plus any other advice regarding getting the best possible results(please keep the language as 'non-technical' as possible). Thanks in anticipation of any help received!!

2. lynx

lynx

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    If i'm reading you correctly you would apper to have the sd210 connected twice, once from trhe scart the other from the composite (yellow). I'm not too familiar with your tv but i would imagine that you have an RGB enabled scart socket to plug the 210 into so why are you using the composite. Appologies if i've got the wrong end of the stick.

3. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Adding to Lynx's comments above, for best results connect as follows:

SKY+ to TV AV1 via Scart to Scart

Make sure RGB is selected in the Sky Setup Options

Tosh 210 DVD Player to TV AV4 via Component Video

Your TV and DVD Player are equipped with Component Video inputs/outputs to allow for the best possible connection method. These sockets are not to be confused with Composite Video Audio L/R phonos and are instead coloured Red/Green/Blue and labelled Componet Video or Y Pr Pb. Suitable cables are available from:

http://www.hificables.co.uk

VCR to TV AV2 or AV3 via Scart to Scart.

You should not have the DVD Player and VCR linked at all as this may cause Macrovision interferance issues.

If you need more info, just ask :).

4. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You have 2 options for sound set the digibox to use the optical, and the dvd to use the cable connection method.

5. Andrewp369

Andrewp369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help received so far, it is beginning to make sense to me now!! I have logged on to the 'hificables' website and looked for component video cables and they seem to have a choice of one which is £110!! Is this correct? Can they be bought any cheaper elsewhere? Also would I be right in saying that having connected my Sky+ box via the optical audio input, I now need to connect the DVD via the coaxial digital input? If so, is the 'hificables' site the best place to buy and can anyone recommend the best product to buy? Your knowledge will be much appreciated!!

6. groundy

groundy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    You're on the right page but you don't want to be spending £110 :eek:. You should have been able to scroll down the page for Component Video Cables by IXOS etc. which will be quite sufficient. The direct link is:

http://www.hificables.co.uk/acatalog/Cable_catalogue_RGB_RCA_cables_36.html

A good Coaxial Digital Cable is the Ecosse Producer which can be bought rather cheaply at:

http://www.hifibitz.co.uk/Warehouse/details.asp?ProductID=ECOPRODUCER080

The link above is for the 0.8 M version but 1.6M and 2M versions are also available at the same site.

:).

7. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    THe cable that came with my Tosh 210, intended for the sound in 2 of the leads, and the visual in the other has worked perfectly as a component cable for over 15 months. I certainly can't imagine spending £110 on a purpose made cable would improve the picture.

8. Andrewp369

Andrewp369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all the help so far. I now have my DVD connected via component video leads and have today received the 'producer' digital coaxial interconnect from Hifibitz. However when I connect it between the DVD and the TV, I cannot get any sound at all. I have set it to 'digital output 2 to extension 4' but the message 'No signal' appears when i check the audio output. What could I have missed? The optical connection between my Sky+ box and the TV works fine.
    One other thing, is it possible for the TV to automatically switch to extension 1 (the digibox connection) when I press the sky button on my remote? Or do I have to flick through to find it each time as I currently do? Your advice would be appreciated.

9. kenfowler3966

kenfowler3966

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    You have to set the dvd up to send sound digitally and not through the scart which is the default. if you set the tv to expect the digital sound, it will not find any as it no longer takes the sound from the scart. Indeed you need to connect the dvd initially to the tv with a scart to even access the menus. Once you have altered the visual output to component and the sound to digital, the scart can be returned to the video or whatever as the dvd no longer needs it. Then the tv should accept the component signal through input 4 and you need to assosiate the correct sound input with this. The tv will not automatically switch to input 4 as the component input does not have this facility, you must select the input on the tv remote manually. The other thing I have found is that region 1 dvd's do not automatically switch the tv into widescreen mode through component, and that also has to be selected manually. Region 2 are fine and autoswitch.

Follow the instructions in your sky user guide to get the sky remote to work the tv, it has to be set up for the correct model of tv.

10. Andrewp369

Andrewp369

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice Ken but I still cannot seem to set this up properly. I have the scart connection and the Component video connection but i cannot get to the 'current audio setting' menu. Pressing the audio button does not bring any menu up at all. What am I doing wrong!!?? I have been through the operating instructions timeand time again but still i have no sound on the digital ext 2.