Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Novice seeks advice

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Brookes2002, Oct 25, 2003.

1. Brookes2002

Brookes2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hello all, I am a new member of the forum but would grealty appreciate advice from existing members.

I intend to purchase the Hitachi plasma (CL32PD3000) within the next month or so, but could do with some help with connecting my system.
    I am quite confused as to the best approach to achieve optimum sound and visual performance i.e. which interconnect cables to use. Possibly the only thing I am certain on is to use a Component Video between DVD and plasma! But which one?

I have already purchased my AV Amp (which is the Pioneer 2011), and intend to include my PS2 and Sky Box (not Sky +) in my eventual setup, but am still deciding on the rest of the equipment. My preference is the B&W 600 S3 speaker package, and the Pioneer DVD656 player.

I only recently read that a prog scan DVD player makes no improvement due to the interlaced picture on the Hitachi (as I was intent on going for the new Sony prog scan player), therefore which DVD player is going to give me a decent picture considering how much I am spending on the complete system. I intend to use it more for video rather than CD purposes.

Can I setup the sound so that you have the option of listening to Sky via either the surround speakers as well as through the TV? If so, what cables do I need?

Any help on system setup would be appreciated.

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,431
    DON'T DO IT! You'll never have any sparee cash once you start :devil: .

Oh well too late, you've already started! :nono:
    Welcome to the forum. The 2011 is a great starting point!

Nice speakers, but make sure you get a good demo to see if they suite your taste. Yet again with the DVD you need to demo and see what looks best to you on the screen you will be useing. Most of the big name players should give very good results.

Your Sky box will have a pair of phono sockets on the back. Connect them with phono leads to an input on your 2011. You will then be able to listen to the TV with Dolby Pro Logic 2. Bog standard nicam/sterio through the plasma speakers will then just sound flat & boring. I don't have speakers on my plasma and therefore always use the AV amp with DPL2, sounds great.

Mark.

3. Brookes2002

Brookes2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks. I had a great demo in Sevenoaks with the B&W 600 series along with the Acoustic Energy Aegis Evo 3B. I was switching between the DVD 656 and the Harmon Kardon DV25. The B&Ws wiped the floor with AE. Not too convinced over the picture quality difference between the DVD players though.

Having read all the technical background on prog scan, I am now slightly confused as to whether it is worth getting a prog scan player. Would I get any great picture benefits with the Hitachi by using a prog scan player, or would I be better off getting the something like the new pioneer 565 player?

4. sjallen

sjallen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I am correct in saying that all the Hitachi does to produce progressive scan is process it into an interlaced signal and display that, so (if I am right) the picture will be no better than RGB.

I'm new to this though so I could be wrong. Hoping to buy a 32" Hitachi myself in the next two weeks! :)