Novice questions regarding set up

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by kroc_kroc, Dec 28, 2006.

1. kroc_kroc

kroc_kroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Rather than reply in the Monolith thread (which I have read in full) I would like a new thread so I can easily refer to the answers for (as you will see by the questions) I am a complete novice. I'm about to confirm my DF Monolith order on the 2nd of January. This is the first time I will have a decent sub and I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount of variables involved in setting it up. My first sub on a complete budget system was an older version of the Mordaunt Short 309 and I thought it sounded great :eek: I'm hoping to be blown away (literally) by the Monolith.

Questions in no particular order:

1. I'm not too sure about setting all my speakers to small when surely that's why we edit the cross over? Should I still set them all to small? It will feel strange setting my GR60's to small? It will also be a pain as I don't have a dedicated stereo amp so I will have to set them to large when listening to music :( unless any Z9 owners can help me out?

2. Should I choose 80Hz as a starting point and adjust from there or is there any other starting point that you can recommend? I know 80Hz is the THX recommended setting is there an optimal settings for my speaker set? What does anyone think would be a good benchmark?

3. On my amp I have the option of choosing THX Ultra2 Sub. Can I choose "yes" even thought the Monolith hasn't been certified?

If I answer yes to the above it leads to further options:

4. Boundary Gain Compensation. My Monolith will be placed quite close to a wall (almost in a corner) so I presume I should select "On" to make benefit glorious choice of having the Boundary Gain Function? or should I alter the "gain" using the Monoliths settings?

5. Is this the right way to connect it up?

Power Off.

Connect from Z9 "Left Subwoofer Terminal" to the Mono input on the Monolith using RCA interconnect.

Turn "High Level Gain" to the minimum position.

Turn "Low Level Gain" to the minimum position.

Turn "Frequency Contour" to maximum position (120Hz).

Turn "Phase" to 0 degrees.

power On.

High Level and Low Level Gain:
    According to the Monolith manual I should adjust until the level of the bass from the subwoofer matches the level from my speakers. I don't really understand this because if all the speakers are set to small, crossover is low and I've directed all LFE to the sub, surely there will be no bass to match with?

Frequency Contour:
    Adjust counter clockwise until the output from the subwoofer meets the lowest notes from your main speakers (crossover point). Again – same question as above.

I'm trying to be as prepared as possible for when the Monolith arrives so it would be great if you can give me any suggestions or advice to the above. Apologies for being all over the place with my questions – Cheers in advance.

2. Sheks

Sheks

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Looking forward to reading future responses to this thread as I am too looking to place an order for a Monolith (but the FF).

Although the sticky thread at the top of this forum is quite a good place to start.

Sheks

3. kroc_kroc

kroc_kroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I've read them and visited all the excellent suggested links. They answered the majority of my questions :)

4. kroc_kroc

kroc_kroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Can anyone help me or do I need to post the questions in the Monolith thread? I was trying to create an easy reference for myself with a sperate thread.

5. Member 96948

Member 96948
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,253
    80Hz is a good starting point. It was selected by both Dolby and THX to prevent extra confusion in specification of consumer products. However, that they arrived at that figure was no accident. It may be that with the serious Z9 and the large GR60s you find a lower crossover works nicely. Set your speakers to large and the sub to LFE+Main. This last bit will allow you to bass manage the fronts and select higher or lower crossovers as desired, sending bass below the crossover to the sub.

My understanding of the Ultra2 sub specification was that it requires a sub that has a response flat to 20Hz. Ultra required flat to 35Hz with a 12dB/octave roll-off there after. So in theory, yes, you can use a Monolith in Ultra2 mode. The boundary gain function is precisiely to compensate for you sitting too close to a wall and/or too much corner reinforcement of the sub. In reality, suck it and see which sounds best to you.

No need for the high level inputs, so ignore them. The settings I descibe above will make sure no bass is lost.

Your amp will be able to generate it's own internal test tones to help with matching channel levels. You'll need an SPL meter (also available from BK for £25) to help with doing this. Nimby has provided a good sticky for how to use one. Basically, you're not trying to match the bass levels between the sub and speakers. The amps test tone is a specific sound (pink noise) that contains sounds of equal energy spread across a number of frequncies. Your sub will be reproding the lower range, your speakers the higher. All you have to do is go through the channels one by one so they all register the same level on the SPL meter at the listening position.

It may also be worth seeing what distances levels and crossovers the Yamaha's YPAO auto setup comes up with. There's nothing to stop you noting them down and then experimenting to see what performs best to your ears. Set the sub to about 10 o'clock on the low level gain, phase to 0 and crossover to max and let the Yam do it's stuff.

Russell

PS. Like the Borat joke.:)