Novice Question : Do I need An AV Receiver or 1-Box Home Cinema Systems?

siliconbits

Standard Member
I'm planning to get a number of boxes together and I was wondering whether I should get an AV reciver or a 1-box Home cinema system

The devices involved are
- A plasma screen (Panasonic P50C10B) with 2 HDMI, 2 Scart and 1 Component
- A HTPC with HDMI and Optical Out
- A classic Virgin Box with Scart
- A classic Skybox with Scart and Optical Out
- A Satellite Box with HDMI
- A Bluray player with HDMI
- A 5.1 speaker system

My question is simple. How to connec them altogether in a way that I can enjoy my movies. Do I need a dedicated AV receiver like the Cambridge Audio A1 VERSION 3 Black | Stereo Amplifier | Richer Sounds or Sony BDVE300 | 5.1 Blu-ray Package System Inc Speakers | Richer Sounds all in one system or a Yamaha NSP280 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds .

muckybucket

Depends on how much you want to spend. A dedicated AV receiver would manage all your devices best I would say, and provide the best sound.

You say you have a 5.1 speaker system, so if that is up to the job and not the kind supplied with an all-in-one system, the only cost will be the AV system.

Oh, and you have Virgin AND Sky?! Are you mad?! :eek:

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
I'm planning to get a number of boxes together and I was wondering whether I should get an AV reciver or a 1-box Home cinema system

The devices involved are
- A plasma screen (Panasonic P50C10B) with 2 HDMI, 2 Scart and 1 Component
- A HTPC with HDMI and Optical Out
- A classic Virgin Box with Scart
- A classic Skybox with Scart and Optical Out
- A Satellite Box with HDMI
- A Bluray player with HDMI
- A 5.1 speaker system

My question is simple. How to connec them altogether in a way that I can enjoy my movies. Do I need a dedicated AV receiver like the Cambridge Audio A1 VERSION 3 Black | Stereo Amplifier | Richer Sounds or Sony BDVE300 | 5.1 Blu-ray Package System Inc Speakers | Richer Sounds all in one system or a Yamaha NSP280 Black | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds .
From a quick read the Cambridge is not a AV amp just stereo, I cannot tell from that link if the Sony system is connectable to external devices and the yamaha package is speakers only.
You have a bit of browsing to do my friend.

siliconbits

Standard Member
I think I dug myself a hole by not being clear from the start. I DO NOT have the speakers, the receiver or the bluray system. I was just wondering which solution which would have been the best.

Get an all in one system with Bluray + a receiver?
Get receiver, plus separate speakers and bluray?
Get an all in one system with Bluray (will I be able to connect the other stuff?)

Hope that's clearer :lease:

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
I think I dug myself a hole by not being clear from the start. I DO NOT have the speakers, the receiver or the bluray system. I was just wondering which solution which would have been the best.

Get an all in one system with Bluray + a receiver?
Get receiver, plus separate speakers and bluray?
Get an all in one system with Bluray (will I be able to connect the other stuff?)

Hope that's clearer :lease:
It comes down to budget and you get what you pay for. If I were starting again I would buy separates. That way you can upgrade (mainly) audio components without trashing the whole system.
AIOs tend not to have good connectivity for add on devices.

siliconbits

Standard Member
It comes down to budget and you get what you pay for. If I were starting again I would buy separates. That way you can upgrade (mainly) audio components without trashing the whole system.
AIOs tend not to have good connectivity for add on devices.

Tom, thanks again for the feedback. My maximum budget for the speakers & receiver would be £300. I am looking for a first home cinema system to go with cheap n nasty £400 HD ready plasma screen

siliconbits

Standard Member
Depends on how much you want to spend. A dedicated AV receiver would manage all your devices best I would say, and provide the best sound.

You say you have a 5.1 speaker system, so if that is up to the job and not the kind supplied with an all-in-one system, the only cost will be the AV system.

Oh, and you have Virgin AND Sky?! Are you mad?! :eek:
Got the skybox for £70 including installation on Freesatfromsky. Virgin box is free as I use the broadband only

PSM1

Distinguished Member
£300 is not enough for reciever, speakers and bluray player. You would need £220 for the reciever, at least £150 for the speakers and £100 for the bluray palyer hence need closer to £500.
A bluray all in one system should at least give you HD audio but you will not have enough connections to put all your other sources into it. Also the sound quality imho for £300 is not going to be great.
I would save up a bit more and go the separates route. Maybe get the speakers and reciever first and then the bluray player a little later (these are dropping in price all the time so you may be able to pick one up cheap in a little while).

siliconbits

Standard Member
PSM, it's actually £300 for speakers and receiver only, no bluray. What are your suggestions. I was also looking for a "best buy" kinda guys for noobs on AV forums but couldn't find any

PSM1

Distinguished Member
For separates good budget systems are:
Onkyo 507 (£220) and Tannoy SFX (£200)
or
Yamaha 465 (£220) and Jamo A102 (£220)

If you need cheaper there are Onkyo and Yamaha speaker sets for around £150 to £170.

There is also a sony all in one system (can not remember number) that does audio over HDMI and I think that is around £300. IMHO the sound quality from the separates system will be better but could be worth a look.

Last edited:

siliconbits

Standard Member
For separates good budget systems are:
Onkyo 507 (£220) and Tannoy SFX (£200)
or
Yamaha 465 (£220) and Jamo A102 (£220)

If you need cheaper there are Onkyo and Yamaha speaker sets for around £150 to £170.

PSM, anything closer to £300? I genuinely appreciate your efforts though. Help from others welcomed as well!

tom 2000

Distinguished Member
Personally i would blow the budget on a amp. beg steal or borrow some bookshelf speakers. save up for a sub in the region of 300 again. then add a centre. then either replace the fronts or get surrounds. then when i had all speakers upgrade the amp and start all over again and keep rolling.

muckybucket

I have to agree with Tom. If you are at all serious about getting some decent sounds it is the only way to go.

The beauty of separates is that they can be purchased bit-by-bit and a whole system built up over time.

For your current budget you might be able to get a low-end AIO system, but sound would probably be disappointing and would have much less longevity than a separates system...

siliconbits

Standard Member
Thanks for your suggestion. Like a first car, I'd possibly like a low-end AIO system to start with. As my audio experience build up, I'll be able to appreciate better sound. What sub £300 AIO would suit me?

safcalibur

Distinguished Member
Hey mate,

Just as a suggestion and before you def go down the AIO route (please dont!!) I would say either onkyo 507/yamaha 465 which PSM1 mentioned above and then maybe these speakers:

Yamaha NSP270 Silver | 5.1 Speaker Package | Richer Sounds

This would just be within budget and then you can save up and buy another speaker package. The 507 and 465 are very good amps and also handle HD audio so if/when you decide to add a BD player youll be covered.

Just a suggestion

Cheers

Saf

PSM1

Distinguished Member
IMHO an AIO system will be a complete waste of money since when you come to get upgrade you will hae to start all over again. You will not be able to use the speakers from an AIO system with an AV reciever so you would still have to get reciever and speakers. Hence you would have spent £300 for something that you can not use.
Building slowly as mentioned before would be good if you have no more funds at the moment.
Even if you have not had surround sound before you will still appreciate the better sound given by a separates system (you do not have to have driven a Fiesta to appreciate an Aston Martin!!!!!!)

tom 2000

Distinguished Member

PSM1

Distinguished Member
The cambridge audio reciever is a nice reciever but will not give you HD audio so I would discount it. However, with Dolby Digital/DTS and Prologic sources it will be better than the Yamaha or Onkyo. It will also do music well.
The Yamaha and Onkyo will both do HD audio. They each produce different kind of sound (Onkyo is bright and Yamaha warm). You should demo both to see which type you prefer. I favour warm sounds so would go with the Yamaha over the Onkyo.
I would not bother with the cheaper speakers as they are not going to be good for that price. You would be better to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers like the Warfedale Diamond 9.0 than those as it would give you better sound quality. The other speakers are going to be OK for movies but do not expect any musical performance. IMHO it is worth paying the £50 extra for the Tannoy SFX.
The 2 AIO system you need to check if they do audio over HDMI to see if you will get HD audio. I would not bother with either of them an would get a separates system instead. DO not expect much quality from the Sony at that price. The Onkyo may be a little better but you are getting into the price range of a separates system so I would get one of those instead.

Liam O

Hi,
I can't speak highly enough of having separates. I always regretted buying a one box system and have just upgraded to Denon/Kef/Samsung TV and am absolutely gobsmacked at the quality of output and overall versatility.Sky movies and DVD's are now astonishing, even the usual tv fare is now a completely different experience.
Believe me there is a big difference between a Home Cinema Player and a bona fide separate AV Receiver.
Liam

Scotty Pro

Don't go down the All In One route, I think you will regret it in the end. There will be very few (if any) seasoned members on here that have a AIO system. My brothers Panny AIO cost £500 and its pants compared to my separates, better to buy the amp and a couple of speakers then add to that each month, should only take a couple of months to get a really good sounding system.

Just flog some junk on Ebay and that will pay for the bulk of your new system, thats how I funded my new amp and BD Player.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sky set to launch its plug-and-play Sky Stream solution
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Movies Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
AV Podcast: 26th September 2022
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
REL Acoustics announces new Serie HT subwoofer trio