Novice needs help

Discussion in 'What Speakers Should I Buy?' started by staffy 2, Dec 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    Hi everyone I’m going to try and get some decent sound to go with my E7 tv and need some help please.
    I’ve got hifi seperates with a pair of Signature Tannoy DC6T floor standers which I love so can I use them as my front left and right and then use any other speakers I want to for the center and sub and two rears.Would it be best to stick to Tannoy speakers like the XT6 center and rears and then can I add any sub I want or should that be a Tannoy aswell.
    Could I still use my front floor standers with my hifi separates as they have two pairs of binding posts So is ok to use one set for my av amp and the other pair for my hifi amp-thanks Im new to this and appreciate any help.

2. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,417
    You can not connect 2 amps direct to the speaker like you suggest. The 2 sets of posts are for biwiring or biamping the speakers. One set is for the high frequencies and the other for the low frequencies. If you want to use 2 amps with one set of speakers you need an amp selection switch.
    You really want the front 3 to be the same make and model at least.
    If your front l/r speakers are very close to the TV then you may not need a centre speaker at all.

3. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    Thanks PSM for making that clear to me.Can I use a Tannoy XTF6 speaker with my DC6T floor standers

4. staffy 2

staffy 2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +312
    How about this one then,could I connect my iPod to a av amp and play my music to just the front left and right speakers

5. PSM1

PSM1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,417
    An AVR will have a stereo setting that will allow only the front pair of speakers to be used so you should have no issue with your iPod.
    You can use any centre you want with your current speakers but if the tone of the speakers is not a good match then it could cause issues. The Tannoy centre should be Ok but you would need to listen yourself to see if it works well for you.
    The benefit of surround sound comes from getting the speakers mounted correctly and in the correct locations. So consider this when looking at what equipment you want. Look at the guides produced by sites like Dolby to see how closely you can match the suggested angles etc. for each speaker. Then consider how and where you will mount the speakers. Since on or in AV units is not an ideal situation.