1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novice needs help choosing a Reveiver/amp

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Bigga, Mar 3, 2003.

1. Bigga

Bigga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I am venturing into the world of Home Cinema for the first time, and I have already decied on some of the components - a 42 inch plasma, and KEF KHT 2005 speaker system, and pioneer 747ai dvd player.

Now comes the hard part firstly, what is the difference between a receiver and an amplifier?

Ideally I would like something that is good for music and movies, so I thought the Yamaha 630RDS would be a good choice.

is there any others that may be better, but in the same price band?

thanks very much for your help!

2. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AV Reciever is the same as a AV Amp, except it has a Tuner built-in.

I would buy a AV Amp and buy a seperate Tuner, since they are very noisy- I'm sure it would effect sound quality.

Personally I would get better speakers than the Kef Eggs. They look trendy, but having a big screen with fairly cheap sound system IMHO is a bit of a waste.

Nathan

3. Bigga

Bigga

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info - what speaker system would you reccomend?

4. nathan_silly

nathan_silly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    M&K 150THX. £1600 for L/R pair, £900 for centre, £1100 for tripole rears. That's my dream system! :eek:

M&K are very nice, but a bit overpriced. The importers are a bit greedy.

AV Amp- checkout Denon 3802, Pioneer 2011.

I can't really recommend speakers, really. There are so many makes if I said xxxxx someone might pop along and disagree. However, Kef, B&W, M&K, Ruark, Mission, seem pretty common choices.

I would go for standmounts for the L/R, as they will sound better than the Kef Eggs- all to do with the bass driver. A small 3 or 4" in the Eggs cannot reproduce what a 6" can.

Nathan

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    Anthony Gallo speakers (small discrete) and B&W (full size) have a good name on here, check the powerbuys forum, On amps the new denon 3803 is due soon or look at the Rotel range of pre/power More money but alot people seem to deem them worthwhile. ahve a look at the B&W site.
    Avland, hifibitz and hifistore are all good for mid range amps, receivers, speakers, etc

6. sounddog

sounddog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +461
    All very nice sugestions for the guy ... but spending a little more of his hard earned cash arnt you than he was planning (with the exception possibly of B&W speakers).

Amp ... along with the Yamaha 630 (with and without a Radio depending on what you want) would be the Marantz SR5300 (some people have reported there is still a proplem with delay on locking onto digital signals), Pioneer 811, Sony 1080 and Denon 1803. All are well reguarded, the Marantz sounds best with music, the Sony has been reported as being the best all round, the Denon has no pre-outs if you plan to upgrade later with power amp this is important, the Yamaha is another good alrounder. Basically go to your local shop and demo all that you can around this price ... none are bad, mostly they are more different from one another. Also look at the NAD T752 - an amp that isn't meantioned or seen much but which a few people have and are very pleased with and the Harmon Kardon is also rated well for both movies and music but (IMO) looks pig ugly so I'd never buy one and so have never listened to!

Speakers ... if you're looking at "lifestyle" speakers like the KEF "Eggs", also check out the B&W VM1 which are a similar price and have been reported to just edge the KEFs in terms of quality. If you don't mind bigger speakers, take a look at the B&W DM600 range, Mission m7 range, KEF Q range and Monitor Audio Bronze and Silver ranges amonst others.

Sorry that I've not really helped with direct recomendations, but take a visit to your local HiFi, discuss with them your requirements and take it from there. Remember that while looks should take second place behind sound quality, you do have to live with the equipment in your Living Room (or wherever)

Vikki

7. stranger

stranger

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    also for speaker packages checkout www.soundandvision.uk.com for half price and less acoustic energy ( 5 SPEAKERS £259.00 AND £299.00) under 'offers'