1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novice needing advice

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by DPLeeds, Jan 5, 2005.

1. DPLeeds

DPLeeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey,

I've just purchased a toshiba 32zp48 tv but my vcr is old and needs replacing as the quality of what it records is poor & grainy. I tend to video most of the tv i like and then watch it in my own time. I rarely watch anything when it is actually broadcast.

I've heard about dvd recorders but know little about them so my questions are:

Would it be worthwhile buying a dvd recorder or just a new vcr?

Any recommendations for either in the under £600 price range?

2. skes

skes
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    It has to be a DVD\HD Recorder, I'm very happy with my Panasonice DMR-E95, cost me £540, if your not into DV editing and the bigger 160GB HD then look at the DMR-E85 for about £365, and of course i'm sure there are good ones from other Brands.

3. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    DVD recorder without doubt!

Do you just want a timeshifter or do you tend to archive recordings? If the former have you thought about a HDD recorder: the likes of the Pace Twin, Humax PVR8000T, Thomson DHD4000 or Panasonic TUCTH100 allow you to timeshift simply and easily without worrying about discs. Consult the Freeview Forum and the PVR Forum for advice on the latest and greatest.

If you interested in archiving your digital recordings onto DVD then you should consider a HDD/DVDR combi machine such as the Panasonic E85 or Toshiba RDXS32.

4. DPLeeds

DPLeeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you just want a timeshifter or do you tend to archive recordings? If the former have you thought about a HDD recorder: the likes of the Pace Twin, Humax PVR8000T, Thomson DHD4000 or Panasonic TUCTH100 allow you to timeshift simply and easily without worrying about discs.

What is a 'timeshifter'?

What is HDD?

Also what is a PVR?

Fraid I'm really ignorant when it commes to this technology!

5. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2

6. DPLeeds

DPLeeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So am I right in saying that if I get a dvd with a HDD I can record programmes without a dvd disc to watch later? Can you also record to disc?

Timeshifting is what I mostly do. Rarely keep recordings from tv after watched them once.

How many programmes could I record to a HDD?

I also don't understand what this dvd-R and dvd+R and dvd+RW is about.

7. SDHoward

SDHoward
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Yes

Yes, you can also copy what you have recorden on the hard drive to the disk, (after editing out adverts etc).
    You can also watch a dvd(or another recording) while recording (including the start of what you are currently recording.. so no need to wait till something has finished to start watching it).

Timeshifting is what I mostly do. Rarely keep recordings from tv after watched them once.

How many programmes could I record to a HDD? Depends on how big the hard drive is and what sort of quality you want. Generally SP is about 2 Gig an hour, so an 80 Gig hard drive will alow 20 hours at Standard Play. If you are really desperate and don;t care about quality you could fit about 100 hours in the same space, although it wouldn't be very watchable.

RW + and - is read writable.

R + and - can only be written to once.

Most recorders can only record to one of + or -

+ vs - .. thats a whole other story.

8. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    for £600 you can buy a lot of machinery

i got Philips HDRW720 (£450ish) which has:

built-in 80 gig hard drive (can record 40+ hours TV without discs or tapes - watch recording whilst recording something else - it automatically deletes stuff you've watched to make room for something else)

Free E.P.G. (7 day electronic programming guide, point n click on programs you want it to record - automatically 'Titles' recordings)

6 hour buffer (HDRW720 records allllll the time, so you can pause/rewind Live TV or watch a program that was on 6 hours ago)

Built-In DVD recorder - to dump (record at high-speed) stuff you want to keep on DVD (DVD+R disc are less than 20p each)

9. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    DPLeeds, given the description you gave of timeshifting everything it does sound like a Freeview timeshifter (such as the Panasonic TCTH100 or Pace Twin) would suit you better than a DVD recorder. These have an integrated EPG, lossless recording and tons of capacity. If you have Sky then I would suggest you look at Sky+ - which beats any DVD recorder hands down.

All that said if you want to make editted archivings from any source then a HDD/DVDR combo is the best bet - although for £400 you can buy something considerably better than a Philips DVD recorder. The current favourites seem to be the Toshiba RDXS32 and Panasonic E85/E95. But as I say from the dit you gave it does sound as though a DVB timeshifter was designed with you in mind.

There isn't really too much to worry about on this score. There are seven DVD recordable formats: any recorder you get will record at least two and probably play some of the rest so don't get too concerned about that.

10. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panasonic doesn't have an EPG, so that's waste of money - my opinion, but of course you're only expressing yours

11. DPLeeds

DPLeeds

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    QUOTE: DPLeeds, given the description you gave of timeshifting everything it does sound like a Freeview timeshifter (such as the Panasonic TCTH100 or Pace Twin) would suit you better than a DVD recorder.

I have ntl cable - would a Freeview timeshift allow me to record from it or could I only record from freeview channels?

Why are there so many cd/dvd formats? Is it like when vcr's were produced with VHS competing with Betamax?? If so which format is likely to become the dominant one? Betamax soon became obsolete didn't it?

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    Because a breakaway faction decided to create a seperate set of discs so they could get a bigger share of the licencing fees.

No - it's unsuitable. You didn't mention cable in your original post so I assumed (obviously wrongly) that you were a terrestial viewer.

Betamax ceased production in 2002! Seriously the DVDR format war is nothing like the VHS v Betamax 'war' of the 80s: all DVD players will play DVD-Videos, all DVD recorders will record onto media that will play in most other DVD players. So no format is going to become obsolete. Buy with confidence! Have a look at the link in my signature for some basic advice on the subject.

What a bigger waste of money than a machine that will probably go trout in a few months? I suppose you are aware of the HDRW fan issue by now? Make sure you keep you extended warranty details close to hand ;) As always I would anyone who is evening half thinking about a Philips machines checks the recent reviews and does a search of the forum and internet as a whole. JethroUK and Niburu are the only real fans of the Philips machines here - although many of us have owned them - which should always be a good heads up as to a products worth.

13. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nope - Show me !

14. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    See this thread. It's also had some exposure over at Digital Spy I believe. Not anything major - but then it's early days for the HDRW.

15. JethroUK

JethroUK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    as i suspected - absolutely nothing - 1 individual problem does not 'an issue' make - funnily enough, the very thread you point to also indicates 'issues' (by several users) of problems with Toshiba RDXS32 (the machine you recommended) - i could go on, but if the best you can say about something is to say something else is worse, then you aint got much to say about it

16. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,261
    That's right, keep telling yourself there isn't a quality problem. Maybe your believe yourself eventually.