1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novice Cable/Connection Clarifications

Discussion in 'TVs' started by eglons, Jan 2, 2005.

1. eglons

eglons
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi, I'm sure someone can point me to a post/web page which answers this but so far I haven't found it.

I've bought the 36ZP48 based on the great reviews on here. I have a dirty screen issue which is liveable with if it can't be sorted under warantee, but I don't really think I am making the most of my TV and other equipment as I don't have any special leads (just a pile of £3 scart leads :rolleyes: ).

I'd assumed that the instructions which come with the TV would make the world a more intelligable one but they are lousy! So....

I've got a DVD player (Free Tosh 240 deal), a VCR/DVD Combi and a Sky+ box, and the Tosh 36ZP48 with loads of holes in the back... I don't have the surround speakers plugged in as I have a demolition toddler who just loves knocking speaker stands over and pulling wires (so that's on hold for a year or so).

What should I be plugging into which holes to give myself the best chance of top telly (and what mode should I set the TV to to enjoy it)...

Answers on a postcard!

Thanks

2. Tight Git

Tight Git

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +597
    Whatever gave you that idea!

Have you never bought flat pack furniture with the dreaded words "Easy Assembly" on the box? :laugh:

Now, what you need for a start are some decent Scart leads.

Purists will say they can see the difference with £300 leads, but for most ordinary people (like TG!), about £30 is a good compromise.

Connect up all the relevent scarts (they are usually marked TV, DVD etc) and make sure you select RGB in the various menus.

Then enjoy your viewing. :thumbsup:

3. acabbie

acabbie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hello there, i've recently set my 36zp48 as follows:-

DVD to TV - component lead for video and co-ax digital for audio this depends on whether your DVD has component out (340e does, not sure about other models)

Sky+ box to TV - Scart to AV1 for video and optical digital for audio (gives you 5.1 sound where applicable). in sky setup menu, i've set my scart setting to RGB.

Video to TV - scart to AV2.

Also have a scart from sky+ box to video.

In the TV's menu i've set my audio up so that AV1 and AV4 (component) are fed through the digital inputs.

I'm new to this but did read through various forums and think its setup ok, it certainly sounds and looks awesome when i'm watching a DVD and you can hear the effects fly past you and the clarity of the picture.

good luck.