1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novice Amp man connecting av amp to PC soundcard

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Yorkieblade, Nov 9, 2004.

1. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,
    I am in the process of buying a plasma tv and I am gonna take my pc + PS2 through it. I am retaining my cheap but reliable Kenwood KRF V5050D 5:1 DTS AMP .

I would like to know if anyone has connected their PC to their 5:1 amp ?

If so what soundcard is good to do this? and can any one recommend a s/card?

And what cable do I need ? and what do I connect to and from??

I would obv want 5:1 out of my pc where a game has that facility.

Now for the PS2 what lead is required ?and where do I plug to and from also?

Thanks for your anticipated help. I hope there is an amp/pc buff out there who can help.

Yorkie

2. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    You could get a sound card that is 5.1 phono (3 stero sockets) for games ect... and has an optical and/or coaxial digital out, depending on what the amp has got, to play dts/DD (DVD's) and the amp will decode these.

This means the phono sockets will be used for games as they have proprietry surround format that the amp won't be able to decode as very few use DD/dts on the PC (although lots of PS2 and XBOX titles do).

The creative card i've had have always been abit funny for outputing 5.1 with stero/phono connection as the coaxial digital is the same connection as the sub/front speaker, and in my experience I got either front or sub depeding on if the cable was all the way into the connection or half way.

But i've been using my nforce soundstorm (on motherboard) for quite a while and it encodes the sound into DD so your amp can decode it, in which case you could just use a digital cable and not bother with any phonos for everything.

3. Yorkieblade

Yorkieblade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the Info Gaz,
    So basically as long as my soundcard has a coaxil or optical out(toslink) then I may as well just stick an optical or coaxial lead to the amp and let the amp do the work.

Unfortunatley I only have one optical in on my amp , but I may trade up to the £250 Denon which has component switching 3 +1 I believe also int has 2 x optical in and 1 x coaxial in (basically I could kill about 10 birds with 1 stone) but the price is rising , lol

Does anyone know of a good solid soundcard with coax or optical out ?

Thanks again
    Yorkie

4. pragmatic

pragmatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,678
    Unfortunatly the amp will only "do the work" with DVD's, anything else you will need '5.1 in' (for an external decoder, from your amps poin of view) although im sure the denon will have that (possibly 6.1 or 7.1 in).
    This is because as far as i know the only sound card which outputs Dolby Digital is the sound storm and thats only availible on Nforce motherboards, ans they have gotten rid of it on the new Nforce 4 aswell :(

For sound cards you can get creatives for cheap and you might want to look at the new external ones it has out, they plug in via USB and while you may lose some performance it does have all the connections you'll need. Thats around £40ish http://www.ebuyer.co.uk/customer/pr...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=78427.

Also the Gainward Hollywood 7.1 doesn't seem bad for the money http://www.ebuyer.co.uk/customer/pr...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=55775. You'll miss out on the special stuff that creative does with it's new cards but after not owning one for a while i don't know if they make any difference, wether is be surround stering or more realistic sound effects.

I hope that clears things up. :)

5. CosmicOne

CosmicOne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    U can use Creative Audigy cards & connect them to ur Amp via 3 stereo to RCA cables,or u can use the optical digital on the SoundStorm found on Nforce2 motherboards & this will encode DolbyDigital to ur amp,so u will always have DolbyDigital lamp on & always works as 5.1 in any new game or movie.