1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novice alert!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Redeye UK, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Redeye UK

Redeye UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hello,

I've been given a Hitachi CP-X275 (specs). Unfortunately I know next to nothing about projectors!

I'm after some advice on what to look for in a pull down screen.

The room is 12" deep. I intend to watch the odd football match on Sky and play a Playstation 2.

Any advice (apart from buy a decent projector!) would be great.

Thank you.

2. kelaD

kelaD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    For pull down you could try:
    Beamax, DRH, Draper

For fixed frame you could take a look at Carada (very cost effective), Ellie, Beamax, Draper.

Loads of others, too!!

You'll likely need 16:9 (1.78:1) aspect ratio, with a decent black border (especially large at the top in a pull down screen), roughly 1.3 gain depending on ambient light and the projector (might want to steer clear of grey screens). If you can accommodate it, then a fixed frame screen is probably better.

3. Thunder

Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Most matt white screens (e.g gain of 1) would be fine. :thumbsup:

4. MikeK

MikeK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +316
    Hmmm, with plenty of light output available (depending on screen size of course), and low contrast from the projector, I would suggest that a high contrast grey screen might well be worth consideration.
    Out of interest, why would you recommend that he "might want to steer clear of grey screens"

If you want cheap, you can simply paint a wall matt white or grey (Icestorm 5 or 6 is popular), or a piece of MDF etc etc.
    Few will suggest it's as good as a good quality dedicated screen (although it may come very close to budget models), but you can still achieve reasonable results for pin money really!

On a final note, how do you fit into a 12" deep room? :) :)

5. Redeye UK

Redeye UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Err... thanks guys, although where I was just ignorant, I'm now confused as well!
    The room is 12' deep, not 12" (though I think you spotted my typo Mike) and I want as big a screen as possible without compromising picture quality. After trawling the forums I realise that ambient light is a big factor - the room is quite dark with the curtains drawn.

I'm considering a pull down screen because this would keep things clean, tidy and out of the way of mucky fingers and drunken football fans.

Thanks again.

6. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    This will help you work out projector position and screen size. As you can see, with a 12' room, if you allow about 1.5' for the size of the PJ plus some breathing room behind, you could theoretically have a 110" screen. However, with that, er, lets just say budget model, I wouldn't reccomend going much bigger than around 70", because it'll just look completely crap and have screen door galore! As for the screen, depends what you want - you can get some pretty cheap manual pull down screens for around £150 that'll do the job just fine. And just remember - if you are planning on fixing the PJ in some way (i.e. to the ceiling), make sure it is in the middle of its zoom range - so that you can twist the zoom and make the image both bigger and smaller than the size of the screen and not at one extreme or the other.

7. Redeye UK

Redeye UK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Mr Bump, you da man, that link is the nuts! Thanks for being so polite about my freebie projector, one day I'll sort out a decent set up!

Just one last thing - grey or white and gain? Sorry, any suggestions would be great.

8. Mr Bump

Mr Bump

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I use a matt white screen with a gain of 1.0 and it works brilliantly - but I have a totally dark room. Grey can be used if you can't control the ambient light as well. As for gain, you need a lower gain if the PJ is a super bright model, designed to work well in well lit areas (i.e. for hooking up the PCs for presentations) and you are trying to use it in low lighting - which would end up with the picture being too bright and giving everyone a headache! I don't think this will be an issue with your PJ - 1.0 gain should be fine.