1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novice alert - advice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by redlester, Nov 18, 2003.

1. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about my ignorance on this but bear with me...

At present I have a Toshiba picture frame 32ZP18P TV and am using the speakers provided with the TV, plugged into the TV which has an in-built 5.1 decoder.

Clearly I'm not getting anything like the best sound and feel that I want to upgrade to a "proper" 5.1 surround system, although I only need small wall mounted speakers (it's a standard size terraced house - not a large room). I'm not particularly after a state of the art system or anything - just something with more "oomph" than the TV speakers & amp.

What I want to know is not so much which kit to go for, as in amplifier and speakers (although any advice is welcome...), but moreso how I go about wiring it up. Do I just run an output from the TV to the amplifier, bypassing the TV's internal Dolby decoder? Surely it has to be a connection from the TV rather than from the DVD player (Tosh SD220) so that I get my TV sound through it, as well as my DVD's?

I confess I haven't yet consulted the TV's manual on this, although I expect it wont help much. I apologise again for asking such a dumb question but have never given the subject any thought before so am completely in the dark.

2. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +7,237
    If you get a seperate amplifier you would need to connect the DVD straight to it via optical or coaxial digital cable and then connect the TV to the amplifier via a pair of phono connectors.

What kind of budget did you have in mind?
    What size room?

Greg

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,207
    That’s if the amp requires you to, some amp you can setup without connecting to the TV.

But I know what you mean Greg i.e. on screen graphics for the amp.

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    look at MS premiere package there is a very nice marantz MS package available all in silver. what sort of budget are you thinking of???

5. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,237
    Sorry, thats not what I meant. I meant for the TV sound, he would need to connect the TV to the Amp with a pair of stereo phono interconnects. But you are right about the amp setting up. Some amps need it, some don't.

Greg

6. redlester

redlester
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry about total numbskull nature of my original question. Have now gone away and learned more about it - downloaded user manuals for a couple of AV amps etc.

I now see that it seems the idea is to route both audio AND video through the AV amp, and do all the switching on the amp. I can see why that would make sense.

However, my current set up took a while to get right. I have DVD, Sky, VHS and my PC's video card (only used occasionally to watch downloaded stuff, but a handy facility) output all going into the TV - the latter 3 on SCART and the DVD via the Component video connections. It is all set up & working exactly as I want it, but all I want is better sound.

So my question now becomes: can I add an AV amp to the system and route the audio from everything through it, but leave all the video connected exactly as it currently is?

My room is an average front room of a terraced house, so not big at all. As I implied above, I'm looking at the "budget" end of the market. Could I get a decent amp & speakers for say around £300?

And finally, if I DID decide to route video through the amp as well, are there any budget-end amps that have component video connections for the DVD...?

Thanks for the help.

7. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,237
    I wouldn't bother routing the video through the Amp if you are happy with the setup. If it is all setup to your liking why change it and I am not sure the budget end of amps do it well anyway, although I could be wrong.

Only necessary to route the audio through the amp.

Thats all I do on mine.

Not sure which to recommend so I will leave that to others.

Greg

8. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Most people don't bother routing video through the AV amp. Not only does it add a further link to the chain and therefore degrade the signal but most budget amps will only route composite or S-video signals.

Most people using televisions as the display device route the video signals direct from source to TV (as you have done) and the sound to an AV amp so no problems for you in that direction.

9. Cadire

Cadire

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    The Pioneer VSX-C301 and Pioneer AV-50 speakers sound just the sort of thing you need.

The Receiver has RGB passthrough for video, and will take all of your existing kit. It doesn't have analog 5.1 inputs though which may or may not be an issue depending on your DVD player.

The speakers are good enough for a small-ish sized room (they do sound a bit trebly for the first week or so though).

HomeCinemaHeaven do the pair as a pack (£379), though you'll probably be able to find better prices if you look around.