Novatech Portable DVD player is NOT a Cyberhome

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by Jon Weaver, Dec 30, 2003.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +717
    Following information that I found on various forums, I bought a Portable DVD player from "Novatech" as I believed that it was a rebadged version of the Cyberhome LDV710.

I got it today and its not the Cyberhome at all.. Not sure if its any better or worse, but its certainly different.

I will have to wait until I go back to work where I can compare the performance of my DVD with a colleagues Cyberhome.

Has anyone been able to do any comparisons??

2. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +717
    Just looked at the Novatech site and the picture they show IS the Cyberhome.. What I have is different.

The most noticable difference is that on the Cyberhome, the eject button opens the ENTIRE top of the unit (including the buttons)

The player that I have been sent only opens 1/2 the unit to reveal the DVD drive and leaves the buttons attached to the unit.

Also, the Cyberhome has cursor keys (including enter) AND a play button.

On my player, the 'enter' buttons is the 'play' button.

I wouldn't be surprised if underneath, they are the same unit, but on face value, they are not!

3. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You may be right I cannot say, however it does work with the same Cyberhome codes to make it multi-region and who gives a **** if the buttons go up or not. It is still a good player and well worth the money.

4. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +717
    If it were just the buttons, I would agree, but that was just an example.. The differences are too many to list.. For example:

Its plastic
    Its got a cable from the battery to the DVD player.

But worst of all, the picture performance is awful compared to the Cyberhome..

Mine has gone back.. £230 is a not a bad price, but considering they were selling the Cyberhome version for the same price, I am not paying that kind of money for an inferior unit!