1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novatech, Cyberhome. Newman...Panasonic DVD-LS5??

Discussion in 'Portable Disc & Media Players & Recorders' started by JohnnyStar, Jan 8, 2004.

1. JohnnyStar

JohnnyStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My first post here and I'm looking for a bit of help. I've gone and got myself confused.

Popped by Dixons today with the intention of picking up a CD/mp3 walkman. Saw the Panasonic DVDLS5 and got distracted. Liked it. The small 5" screen is compensated for by a great picture.

Went home to read reviews on the web.

Got to here and saw people raving about the Cyberhome 710 and the rebadged version in Dixons under the "Newman" brand.

Then Jon Weaver gave a Novatech link. Went there and there were two players advertised for around the same price - a "ssive Scan for £229.13" and a snappily titled "Portable DVD Player 7" Screen for 233.82" which was the player linked to in the Original post.

These two players look identical but the one referred to as the Cyberhome clone doesn't play dvd/rw whereas the other one does.

OK, here's the crux of the post (Yay, I hear you cry). Why is there two identical looking players advertised on Novatech? Which of these players is the better? Which statistics belong to the Newman being sold in Dixons for £250. And is going for one of these players with an extra 2" screen better than going for a reliable Panasonic DVDLS5?

Thanks for reading this.

Cheers,

Johnny

2. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought the progscan dvd from Novatech. It is a Cyberhome, not re-badged, in a Cyberhome carrying case (paid extra). It was in a cyberhome box. It plays DVD-RW and DVD-R as well as MPEGs not encoded to DVD VOB. It is a brilliant little player, just remember to switch the power switch off at the back otherwise it drains the battery overnight - very annoying. It can be made multi-region but wasn't of the box. I bought it back to Australia with me and it has played everything I have thrown at it. Excellent value and it was more expensive back in October when I bought it. Comes with the leads required for prog scan play.

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +648
    As you already know, I bought the 'Novatech' player and it turned out to be different to the one they show (Which is a Cyberhome).

My colleague as a proper 'Cyberhome' (i.e not rebadged) unit and a side by side check confirmed that his unit is VASTLY superior to the Novatech on... Not only in build quality but more importantly picture quality too..

I have learned that Novatech are (or were) selling a rebadged Cyberhome for the same price, but it seems that THEIR supplier changed spec on them.

I have asked Novatech if they could go to their warehouse and look to see if they have any of the 'Cyberhome' varients left in their stock, but they dont' bother returning my mail.

I have now returned my unit and am waiting for Dixons to get their stock of the "Newman" model (Assuming that this turns out to be a rebadged Cyberhome)..

If that fails, the only choice is a real 'Cyberhome' from Firebox, but that will cost you £299.

It seems that if you order from Novatech, you take your chances.. What they are supplying is NOT what you see in the picture and certainly not a Cyberhome.

I hope this helps

Jon

4. JohnnyStar

JohnnyStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon,

Thanks for your very prompt comments on this one. I actually called Novatech this morning and asked about the two products they were advertising. It turned out that one was discontinued (the "ssive") but they hadn't got around to removing it from their catalogue :rolleyes: . They also couldn't tell me much more about the player - I was interested in the "accu" battery that is supposed to play for up to 4 hours. Does your work colleague's player last this long?

Dixons near me have got the Newman in stock for £250. From your earlier posts I'm assuming that the way to know if it is a Cyberhome rebadge is that the whole surface lifts up when ejecting a cd and not only half of the surface. Any other ways to tell?

And assuming that this is the case, would you recommend getting this player instead of the smaller but very good picture quality Panasonic DVDLS5?

Cheers,

J

5. JohnnyStar

JohnnyStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jon,

Just re-read some of your other comments in the other post - I'll look out for the "enter" buttons, the cable to the battery and the plastic.

Cheers,

J

6. JohnnyStar

JohnnyStar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    And now found that Richer Sounds are doing the Panasonic DVDLS5 for £249 as opposed to Dixons £299 or £279 on the net. Does this make the choice easier? Quality of the Panasonic versus size of the Newman.

J

7. nabby

nabby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,518
    I picked up the Cyberhome 712 when in the USA before Christmas. Much cheaper than the 710 and better specced in that it comes with a 4 hour battery rather than the 2.5 hour one, and also it comes with (admittedly basic) component output leads, which I believe aren't included in the 710 you get here. And given the current exchange rate it's less than what it costs here. I paid $360 and that included the carry case that adapts to use it in the car. So if you know someone going over there....