1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Novatech bundles any good?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by rigman, Jun 4, 2004.

1. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Hi

have been looking at the Novatech bundles, the actual one being the XP3000, motherboard, 512 ram, cooler and case for £233

Are these good value. The motherboard seems to be Novatechs own. Is the ram fast / slow /medium etc.

Or would I be better off buying the components separate either from novatech or elsewhere?

thanks for any advice.

Darren

2. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    These numbers are off the top of my head, so you might wanna check them first, but if you went for seperates:

XP3000 'barton' - £95
    Crucial 512mb PC3200 - £65
    Asus A7N8X-X MBoard - £40

which would give you £30odd to find a case&PSU, which would be 'tricky'.

The novatech deal is cheap, but parts wont be as good quality, the PSU would be the concern for me.

With fast Athlons you should really have a good quality power supply, I'd be quite suprised if you get one in that deal..

Me personally, I'd spend another £50 to get a better quality case and a PSU you can trust.. Antec's 'Sonata' really looks the part and has a top notch PSU, about £80 all in i think..

all depends if you can raise the extra cash obviously..

If you're shopping for parts and not a regular, www.dabs.com is a safe place to start off..

3. Mylo

Mylo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +372
    I got a Barton 2500 deal and was very satisfied with it. The supplied cooling fan is very effective with a typically oversized heatsink. It is sometimes cheaper to buy some of the components from dabs and some from novatech depending on stock levels, but remember to add up all the delivery costs. The main advantage of buying from novatech is the bundles are set-up and pre tested. There's nothing worse than putting a PC together and finding the bits are not compatible.

Cheers, Mylo

4. <<ERROR>>

<<ERROR>>
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    www.scan.co.uk is good - they have Today Only offers that change every weekday. You might find a decent bundle there. (or perhaps get the parts separately from there)

www.overclockers.co.uk is good for price as well - I get parts from there often.

Shop around - you might be surprised what you find. Do try and get good brand name parts (Asus, Abit, MSI) though - a friend of mine got an Athlon bundle from Novatech and we had all kinds of problems setting up the system with this no-name motherboard.

As already said, look at the delivery costs too.

5. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Have a look at this from Komplett:-

http://www.komplett.co.uk/k/ki.asp?sku=118126&cks=PRL

Works out at about the same price as mentioned above (£195 without the case). It looks like you have to build it yourself though which can be a bit daunting if you havn't done it before but is actually quite easy, it's the setting of it all up that can bring the problems, but you have to do that yourself with the Novatech bundle anyway.

I would also be very worried about the case in the Novatech bundle (not just Novatech, but any cheap cases in general) as you really get what you pay for when it comes to cases, which is normally a nasty PSU if you get a cheap one. I can also recommend the Antec Sonata (I have one :thumbsup: ), lovely "piano" black finish, quite quiet and a very good PSU. It works out about £50 dearer doing it this way but IMHO it's well worth it...

Regards,
    Iain

6. rigman

rigman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Thanks guys for the input. I have been looking at the sites you mention and also ebuyer seem to have reasonable deals. They actually lead you to what you need when you click on something. i.e. If I select XP3000 cpu then there will be a selection of motherboards underneath to pick from. Click on a motherboard and the ram will appear etc. The cases look too cheap though. £11 for a case with PSU. I will buy something a bit more expensive for piece of mind.

thanks
    Darren

7. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,173
    If it helps any here's a review i found for the sonata..

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/003/cases/sonata/sonata-1.html

just ordered one today for a PC i'm building for my Bro..

Antec's 'Truepower' PSUs are about as good as you get currently, and cost around £50 and upwards seperately, so the Sonata package is really fantastic value for such a smart looking case IMO.

Also, overclockers.co.uk have a good deal on a radeon 9600 Gfx card this week
    http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/connect3d_ati_graphics_cards.html

the 9600 at the top is a steal if you're after a mid-range GFX adapter..