• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Nothing works for 20min!

NobleBenj

Active Member
I built my first ever system in December (vista 64) and didn't have a single problem:eek: it was all working fine, Until now!

This week I installed my new wireless printer and did a windows update (automatic turned off) ever since that when the desktop first opens it takes 20-30min to load Webroot firewall, antivirus and if I try to open any other application it just freezes so I have to 'end task' constantly. However I can still open internet explorer and Google! even though it say I'm disconnected in the start menu tray.

In windows security it said the windows firewall was running (never use to) so I turned it back off as I thought it was conflicting with Webroot firewall but I'm still having the same problem.
After 20-30min everything's fine and all software and applications load up as normal, the only thing that doesn't happen anymore is it used to tell me that "my system is protected against a single hard drive failure" due to the raid 1, I've checked the storage manager and the status now says normal although post printer installation it did say 'verifying and repairing'.

I'm puzzled to say the least, can anyone help me.:lease:
 

pud77

Active Member
Do a system restore, and go back a week or so. If everything returns to normal, it's definitely something to do with the software you have recently installed.
 

tankstage

Active Member
Its something to do with printer network protocols. I did have this problem for ages, and kept searching for a fix, and did eventualy find one, BUT I can't remenber where.
It involved using Regedit to change one value I think.
I know that isn't much help but at least it proves you are not the only one !!

Tank
 

NobleBenj

Active Member
Its something to do with printer network protocols. I did have this problem for ages, and kept searching for a fix, and did eventualy find one, BUT I can't remenber where.
It involved using Regedit to change one value I think.
I know that isn't much help but at least it proves you are not the only one !!

Tank

Thanks tank, that sounds complicated hope I can find a quick solution.

p.s Just noticed your location your round the corner from me, I'm in Stanton:hiya:
 

tankstage

Active Member
Thanks tank, that sounds complicated hope I can find a quick solution.

p.s Just noticed your location your round the corner from me, I'm in Stanton:hiya:

Hi neighbour :D
I searched the interweb for a bit and found other people with the same thing.
It seems it is related to the lanmanserver service.
Try setting the Server service to manual startup.
To do this goto: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
Scroll to the Server entry and double click it.
Set the startup type to Manual and try that.
This is not what I did, but it may work.

Tank
 

NobleBenj

Active Member
Hi neighbour :D
I searched the interweb for a bit and found other people with the same thing.
It seems it is related to the lanmanserver service.
Try setting the Server service to manual startup.
To do this goto: Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
Scroll to the Server entry and double click it.
Set the startup type to Manual and try that.
This is not what I did, but it may work.

Tank

cheers tank i'll give it a go:smashin:
 

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom