nothing will open - PC problems - expert needed!

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by bunyboy, Sep 23, 2004.

1. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    My mother in law is having problems with her PC and i can't figure out how to fix it (or what she did)... i wonder if anyone can suggest a solution..

she has windows ME but when you try and open Word it just holds on that little egg timer forever.. i do CTL, ALT, DELETE and a window appears saying:

The system is dangerously low in resources! Would you like to terminate the following application? Winword [not responding]

i click yes and then have to restart the computer coz everything has frozen up...

interestingly.. when i do restart, if i go to close program straight away (before anything is open) it gives me a whole list of programs that are supposedly open.. but they arent.. at least i cant see that they are open... could this be the problem..?

the supposed open programs are:

Explorer
    Loadqm
    Aoltray
    Point32
    Systray
    Hampanel
    Mdm
    Hpztsb07
    Qttask
    Bpcpost

another odd thing is that connecting to AOL works fine!

ive put all her important stuff onto disks so i am able to reset the whole darn thing if need be.. but im not even sure how to do that.. what disks i need to have ETC...

any help!?

thanks all

2. Embarker

Embarker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +71
    Is would seem that there is not Office Suite in which to open word, or Winword is corrupt.

You could try opening it with Notepad instead and see if there is anything in the file. It maybe that the file you are trying to open is corrupt?

If you still have the ME disk, just run it from the CD and see if it has Repair/Fix option.

As far I recall from my laptop that had ME on it you still need a Office Suite to use word and excel, It maybe that that had got deleted somehow.

Good luck - Computers - Love to hate them

3. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    its not just word though (i dont think)
    its anything!
    i dont think she has the full ME disks, just a recovery disk.. microsoft dont seem to send out the full thing anymore.. word just came as part of microsoft works..
    very annoying.. somebody has done something and i cant figure out what!

4. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Definitely sounds like a corruption of something pretty low-level that's used by many things, maybe a system DLL or similar.

As for the list of programs running but not visible, that's normal under Win9X where Task Manager doesn't know the difference between a running application and a background process.

The recovery CD should be able to restore the system to the state it was in after it was put together by the factory, IOW it should also recover Works and anything else that was pre-installed. Naturally, anything installed subsequently will be lost for all intents and purpose, or maybe in actual fact if the recovery process re-formats the boot partition.

5. pringtef

pringtef

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    These are process that are running in the background.

the open programs are:

Explorer - This is the process that shows your desktop etc
    Loadqm - Part of MSN Messenger / Explorer
    Aoltray - An AOL program that will most likely sit in the system tray
    Point32 - Pretty certain this will be the mouse driver
    Systray - Process for the system tray, where time etc is displayed
    Hampanel - This is a process that displays the modem activity in the system tray when connected
    Mdm - Think if I'm right this is the IE explorer script debugger
    Hpztsb07 - HP Printer driver
    Qttask - Apple Quicktime
    Bpcpost - Setup program for Microsoft TV Viewer

You'll most likely find that these programs are loaded in the registry. They'll be located under :-

HKLM\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS\CURRENTVERSION\RUN

What you could do is backup this to your desktop, then do the following :-

Start, Run, Regedit
    Navigate to the key mentioned above

Remove
    Qttask
    Hampanel
    Bpcpost
    AOLTray
    LoadQM

Restart the PC, and see how things are running.

If you've got sufficient disk space, also give yourself a permanent swap file of about 512Mb>1G (with the same setting for min and max size).

Also suggest downloading Adaware, and scanning the system.
    And do a defrag at the end to speed things up a bit!

Let me know how you get on!

6. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    you sound like you know what you're talking about...
    unfortunately, i don't!
    so, all those things are pretty normal.. i was just thinking that maybe they were using up all the memory and not allowing word or anything to run..
    can you take me though HOW TO DO what you said (assuming im an idiot)
    and also tell me why i am doing it!?

what's adaware?
    i just want it back the way it was ASAP!
    can i just wipe the hard drive and reload everything?

thanks for the advice so far!

7. bunyboy

bunyboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    i thought id rebooted from the recovery cd.. i mean it seemed to do it.. it took half an hour while telling me how wonderful ME is... but it didnt seem to reset to factory settings at all.. meaning, it still had stuff i'd put on there after we'd got it (quicktime, media player, a video codec etc) - stuff that wouldnt have been there if all had been reset... plus, the problem was the same! so it just seemed to spend half an hour doing not very much!

8. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Damned board won't let me delete a duplicate post. :rolleyes:

Still, it's good for the post count. ;)

9. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Sorry to hear that, 'fraid I have no direct experience of these 'recovery' CDs, I always have a full install CD to hand when building a new PC.

As for your comment "i was just thinking that maybe they were using up all the memory and not allowing word or anything to run", they don't occupy much memory certainly won't stop large pograms like Word from loading .. no, you've got something corrupt I fear and if the recovery CD hasn't helped then I can't think of anything else but to re-install, but for that you need a real installation CD not a 'recovery' one.

The only other explanation would be some sort of virus/malware which has screwed things up, you may want to try the free version of Ad-Aware as pringtef suggested.

It's sort of like an anti-virus package, it goes looking for nasty bits of software which can infest PCs from web browsing. Unlike viruses or trojans which are destructive, 'malware' does things like display pop-up advertising and other nasty activities.

You can get the free version from here.

Where did the PC come from? Is there any support for it?