Nothing to Something . . . ?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Gizmo 76, May 7, 2007.

1. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Haven't been out to get any new pictures this week and have gone through alot of my old stuff recently. I came across an old shot that for some reason interested me, so I thought I'd have a play for a bit for turn a pretty drab nothing capture into something a bit more interesting.

I took the original RAW file and made 3 exposures, then photomatix, then into Elements, then touched lot's of buttons that I wasn't really sure what they done, and this is what resulted.

Killed a couple of hours, and it kept me distracted enough from bank holiday TV :D

Start Image
    [​IMG]

Colour Result
    [​IMG]

Black and White Variation
    [​IMG]
    Click for Larger Versions

Probably had a quite heavy handed approach as i'm not sure of the best ways of doing stuff really yet, but I would definitely like to learning more about photoshop etc... I'll start another thread in the coming week about that ;)

I think out of the two I prefer the B&W version, also I think I may invest in a tablet this coming summer.

Giz

2. h4rri

h4rri

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    I do like the second one, don't think the B&W version holds enough distinct detail to carry off the conversion but thats just me, I use B&W very rarely and am never that happy with the results.

3. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Cheer h4rri :thumbsup:

I'm usually kinda the same with B&W, I actually took some pictures recently that when I took them thought would work well in B&W, but I just couldn't get it to look how I wanted.

4. Holowlegs

Holowlegs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Hi ya

Think you have done a great job on both. The start image I wouldn't give a second look to. But really like what you have done to the colour one. :thumbsup:

Cheers Holo:smashin: :smashin:

5. Liquid101

Liquid101
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,228
    What's caused the brighter area going from top right to bottom left? Is it something you've put in, or was it a side effect of the processing? I kind it a little distracting TBH.

I prefer the B/W version, but perhaps with a little less contrast and without the bright flash.

6. Gizmo 76

Gizmo 76

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +495
    Cheers Holo :thumbsup:

Liquid - It was self created, I was just mucking around with the dodge and burn controls in Elements.

I think I could of done with more clouds to the left and then maybe I could of made them darker and made a break of light look a bit more convincing?

Also I should of made the light to dark area more gradual on the left, the shadow on the right area I think could feasibly be caused by something out of shot, but the dark on the left doesn't work with the cloud like I wanted.

I was just playing around really as I find it the best way to get to grip with stuff, and there was nothing on TV :D