nothing special achievement.

jason g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
as most people know this is the hardest achievement to get in the game, myself, tetlee, crovon, and anodyne have been playing this most nights and got no where really in the game for this achievement, i have tried it myself playing with 3 AI players and got quite far on no mercy, but the tank always hits us as the AI never run away, this was the problem, we ned to use an open area so the AI can at least move back while shooting at the tank, tetlee always recommends death toll but i always find its too open for smokers to attack from the woods, i did however not think of blood harvest, more woods u think? yes but when i got my 'not being vomited on by a boomer' achievement i did it on blood harvest, i just ran and let the AI take care of the boomer then carry on running, the point is this level is best for running through the game as it's pretty clear which route to go, so i looked into anyone who has tried this route, now i saw these videos, im not sure if this is the 360 or pc version but it's the same game and looks to be the same route, one thing i never thought of with the tanks is that on the video the guy uses the propane tanks which u will see does a lot of damage to the tank and the AI seem to take care of the tank easy enough, i guess being on this level it gives u and the AI more chance of retreating back while constantly shooting, it was also a good idea at the end to stand where the rescue vehicle exits.

this guy did it on normal so setting to easy should lessen the burden, also he got a little lucky on the bridge section where the safehouse is on the bridge as nearby there is a car which one of the AI sets off by accident so maybe that won't happen during your game.

good luck with this and hope myself and others get this achievement as it's been a nightmare so far, but at least the videos will help and prove it is an achievement u can get.

remember this is with the 3 AI players so if u plan to use human players it would be best to study the videos and plan your game.

check out the videos (in 3 parts)

part 1
YouTube - Left 4 Dead how to get "Nothing Special" with three bots PT1

part 2
YouTube - Left 4 Dead how to get "Nothing Special" with three bots PT2

part 3
YouTube - Left 4 Dead how to get "Nothing Special" with three bots PT3

good luck. ;)

Last edited:
We will do it eventually mate, Im sure of it :D

Yep, this is definitely the hardest achievement to get, no question! I'm not saying the Expert cheevos are gonna be a cakewalk (not attempted them yet), but I think this will require some serious play to get. I haven't even managed to get Stomach Upset yet!

One thing to note, though: Although it might be easier not to take damage on "Easy" as you will be able to do things like take down the Tanks a lot quicker, because you will undoubtedly be doing a lot better than on harder game settings, you can also expect the AI director to throw more special infected your way. "Normal" difficulty might actually be your best bet.

Just something to think about. :)

expert achievements are easier as the special infected doesnt matter as long as u get 1 person into the safehouse/rescue vehicle, everyone gets the achievement.

tried the nothing special and it seems blood harvest is the best bet.

tried each level on a recon basis for tonights game, no luck on most as there was no room to escape the tank, however just tried blood harvest again and the AI only got hit 2 times, once by a smoker and once by a hunter, i got hit by a witch in the doorway, stupid AI set her off as i was about to hit her, on a plus note, we took out 5 tanks, and also got into the rescue vehicle without damage too, blood harvest is definately the right level to get this.

tried each level on a recon basis for tonights game, no luck on most as there was no room to escape the tank, however just tried blood harvest again and the AI only got hit 2 times, once by a smoker and once by a hunter, i got hit by a witch in the doorway, stupid AI set her off as i was about to hit her, on a plus note, we took out 5 tanks, and also got into the rescue vehicle without damage too, blood harvest is definately the right level to get this.

So blood harvest it is then. Lets see what we can do!

Deffinately looks like you have to go against your natural reaction to bunker down and take them on. Get out into the open and fight like that.

Last edited:
I'll be around tomorrow if you dont manage it tonight! Really starting to like L4D!

So blood harvest it is then. Lets see what we can do!

Deffinately looks like you have to go against your natural reaction to bunker down and take them on. Get out into the open and fight like that.

got to the 4th chapter without damage this time, bloody tank spawned out of nowhere though and got me. :mad:

I reckon we did alright last night, just ran out of time. If we do BH again on saturday and it takes a few tries I think we'll crack it :thumbsup:

4ManClan FTW!!!

No Mercy is a non-starter. The AI never go first up the red ladder out of the sewers and there always seems to be special infected waiting for me at the top. Guaranteed to take some damage up there really.

I was really close to Untouchable on Blood Harvest but just got hit for 2 damage near the end from one zombie. One day baby...

Jason - How close are you to Zombiecidiest? I'm about 14 000, so a quarter of the way there.:D

No Mercy is a non-starter. The AI never go first up the red ladder out of the sewers and there always seems to be special infected waiting for me at the top. Guaranteed to take some damage up there really.

I was really close to Untouchable on Blood Harvest but just got hit for 2 damage near the end from one zombie. One day baby...

Jason - How close are you to Zombiecidiest? I'm about 14 000, so a quarter of the way there.:D

is untouchables the one where no-one gets hurt after the rescue vehicle is called? if so, do death toll, at the end summon the rescue and go to the rocks in the water, to the left of the pier, wait there and shoot the smokers and avoid the tanks rocks it throws, other than that nothing really gets to u, when the boat arrives all stay near the rope in the water and then throw a pipe bomb on the way and then leg it to the boat.

as for kills im currently on about 42,000. :rolleyes:

expert achievements are easier as the special infected doesnt matter as long as u get 1 person into the safehouse/rescue vehicle, everyone gets the achievement.

tried the nothing special and it seems blood harvest is the best bet.

Ha easier said than done!

I have now done this, but there really needed to be at least two people left by the end to ensure survival.

it's not as hard to complete as the nothing special though, they shouldn't have made the tanks count as damage as they spawn too close and cause too much damage easily, plus u cannot out-run it either, i would have this achievement if it wasn't for the tanks. :(

it's not as hard to complete as the nothing special though, they shouldn't have made the tanks count as damage as they spawn too close and cause too much damage easily, plus u cannot out-run it either, i would have this achievement if it wasn't for the tanks. :(

Yeah but on easy they die pretty quick. Plus if your running backwards facing the tank, if you unload on him it does slow him down, allowing you to make a better decision on how to escape him.

I can see this being difficult but me and a mate got to the end of No Mercy, without getting touched by any special infected, it was just the smoker pulled one of us off and the tank then clocked us.

I seem to be able to out run the tank if i turn with my back to him and run forwards, but if I run backwards facing the tank while firing he seems to catch up.

Anyone else found this? Can you out run the tank if you just turn your back on him and RUN AWAY!!!!!!!

I tried going for this single player for the first time last night and almost sailed through it on first attempt, one of the AI got clipped by a tank rock right near the end of the Finale but had been perfect up until that point, killing the tanks before they got anywhere near close.

You without doubt get a far more realistic shot at it when playing with 3 AI(for a start each of the tanks I encountered started off in the distance, unlike when the four of us play and nearly always one takes us by surprise and appears un-announced pretty much dropping right on our heads!:eek:), for some reason the game seems to purposely make it far harder when playing with friends.

I'm still hoping our 4manclan will be able to get this, as we've stuck together since the start with this game it would be a shame to finally branch off for this achievement. Will probably leave single player attempts & keep trying as we've been doing for now for this reason, if worst comes to the worst and we're not getting anywhere with it though we might have to seperate up and go this one solo.

Last edited:
I tried going for this single player for the first time last night and almost sailed through it on first attempt, one of the AI got clipped by a tank rock right near the end of the Finale but had been perfect up until that point, killing the tanks before they got anywhere near close.

You without doubt get a far more realistic shot at it when playing with 3 AI(for a start each of the tanks I encountered started off in the distance, unlike when the four of us play and nearly always one takes us by surprise and appears un-announced pretty much dropping right on our heads!:eek:), for some reason the game seems to purposely make it far harder when playing with friends.

I'm still hoping our 4manclan will be able to get this, as we've stuck together since the start with this game it would be a shame to finally branch off for this achievement. Will probably leave single player attempts & keep trying as we've been doing for now for this reason, if worst comes to the worst and we're not getting anywhere with it though we might have to seperate up and go this one solo.

What campaign and difficulty were you on with that one?

What campaign and difficulty were you on with that one?

Easy and Death Toll, I think that's the best map for this achievement personally, especially for the Finalle as you can get the AI to follow you down to the pier which makes a good defense spot and quick escape when the boat arrives(can imagine the AI being a pain in the rear with some of the Finnales where you can't get them a good distance away from the hordes).

had a go on death toll tetlee, i got a tank in the second and third level which hit the AI, theres nowhere to run in the drain area, tried again and just ran for it, got to the drain area where the weapons are in the circle before the drain the part where u climb down the ladder but there was a which right where the weapons were and when i went to shoot her the AI hit her first so she got me. :(

blood harvest seems to be my best bet, i sailed through the first 3 levels but got hit by a hunter on the 4th. :(

tried the dead ai shortcuts, but they couldnt get over the barrier where u set it on fire, i jumped over and yes u guessed it a tank on the opposite side of the barrier appears and im dead.

the tree part worked though, i used the shortcut and the AI just ran round the route and didnt get hit once, pus zoey just spwned in the saferoom next to me.

Last edited:
I'm still trying desperately to get this achieve, its killing me how often we now get done over. :mad:

Our first go always seems to be the best and then it just tails off.

Its the only one left for me to get.

i'm gunna have a go tonight on my own to see if it can be done.

everyone alway seems to get hit by the tank which is what stops many players from getting this achievement.

they could have been fairer and took the tank out of the achievement.

@ maybe it's just me but since the recent update there seems to be far more zombies now in campaign, played a 3 player campaign the other day and onno mercy we got to a saferoom and there was a tank, smoker, and a hunter all near the doorway of the saferoom. :eek:

during the campaign there just seemed to be swarms of zombies all the time, we only played on normal mode too.

everyone alway seems to get hit by the tank which is what stops many players from getting this achievement.

they could have been fairer and took the tank out of the achievement.

@ maybe it's just me but since the recent update there seems to be far more zombies now in campaign, played a 3 player campaign the other day and onno mercy we got to a saferoom and there was a tank, smoker, and a hunter all near the doorway of the saferoom. :eek:

during the campaign there just seemed to be swarms of zombies all the time, we only played on normal mode too.

Yeah the tank is a major issue for this, however the hunter is by far the worst. Its not like they're hard to deal with, however at the same time they can just scratch you and its all over!!

The boomer and the smoker are the easiest as the boomer can only damage you with a scratch.

i've been trying this on easy and so the amount of zombies does not seem so bad to be honest...

Have you managed to get this achieve yet?

This achievement is fast becoming an absolute joke for me!! :mad:

We have completed the campaign at least 5 times without getting touched by any special infected, yet we still have not got the achievement.

It annoys me how its so easy to not even realise whether or not you've been damaged by any special infected at times whilst going through it aswell, and with no method of checking whilst you progress with it it becomes so so frustrating.

I will also say that we have completed the campaign with no boomer bile touching us, no smoker getting close to take damage. I shoot every witch in the back to avoid any of that. On one the hunter didnt even pounce!

Im sorry to rant on but i dont know now what more to do.

Has anyone who has actually done this got any more tips??

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom