Nothing Phone (1) Review & Comments

Seems like a nice device, and the back to basics approach is very welcome, but the unfortunate problem with Android based devices is the short support window and lack of on-going critical security patches and OS upgrades.

It’s a concern that needs to be tackled far more seriously by Google. Even if there’s less customisation with modern handsets by different manufacturers, support is still a really big deal, especially for businesses, but anyone who values security.

I read the review, but couldn’t find any details on support commitments from the manufacturer.

The iPhone 6s is still supported with OS upgrades and critical security patches and it was release in 2015. It’s longevity has made it extremely popular with businesses who need to support devices for long periods of time.

The Android eco system needs to do better if manufacturers really want to tap into the corporate business market - especially in security regulated businesses.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:
Slapping a gigantic outline of an Apple logo on the back is certainly bold, if utterly random and inviting a lawsuit.

Aside from covering the back in lights which you'll never see, I don't really see why this exists. It's just another no name mid-range Android phone.

Quite like the look of it, but another phone with a glass back rules it out for me.

An Apple logo? It's literally a circle.

EE0695C8-210E-47BD-9658-30ADBE75501C.jpeg

It
You don't see the Apple logo on the back? The bite mark in the side, the stalk on top, it's pretty blatant.
It is literally a circle. Unless Apple is now claiming they invented circles? Wouldn't be surprised...

A new update, 1.1.3, has added Google's adaptive battery usage. This extends the battery life.

It

It is literally a circle. Unless Apple is now claiming they invented circles? Wouldn't be surprised...

A new update, 1.1.3, has added Google's adaptive battery usage. This extends the battery life.
I give up. I even posted an image. Fine, they're totally different, no similarities at all, I imagined it, as did everyone else who noticed it online. You're right, everyone else is wrong.

Well done, you win.

I give up. I even posted an image. Fine, they're totally different, no similarities at all, I imagined it, as did everyone else who noticed it online. You're right, everyone else is wrong.

Well done, you win.
Thanks 👍🏼 The non-Apple circle is the shape of the wireless charging coil - oh, wait did Apple invent that too?

Hilarious. Enjoy your evening.
Cheers, I am.

Back to to phone. I've actually got it. It is nice, the only downsides are it's iPhone aesthetic, square sides and all and size - it is large.

Apart from that it is a very nice phone. Performance is perfectly acceptable, anyone able to notice a performance difference in any application is auto-suggesting and and justifying the £££ they spent on the latest Snapdragon or Apple A15.

Last edited:
Cheers, I am.

Back to to phone. I've actually got it. It is nice, the only downsides are it's iPhone aesthetic, square sides and all and size - it is large.

Apart from that it is a very nice phone. Performance is perfectly acceptable, anyone able to notice a performance difference in any application is auto-suggesting and and justifying the £££ they spent on the latest Snapdragon or Apple A15.
Ok that is just ridiculous.

However your enjoying your phone so that’s all that matters.

OK, another way of putting it would be that this is s phone that cost £399, a lot less than ones with the SoCs I was referencing. Which is why I bought it for my daughter, she is enjoying the phone. I use a Pixel as my daily phone.

I would still challenge anyone to tell the difference in SoCs in a blind test.

OK, another way of putting it would be that this is s phone that cost £399, a lot less than ones with the SoCs I was referencing. Which is why I bought it for my daughter, she is enjoying the phone. I use a Pixel as my daily phone.

I would still challenge anyone to tell the difference in SoCs in a blind test.
Amazon now have the phone at £449. Sneaking upwards it seems.

I was thinking about that the other day – Apple’s A15 really is ahead of the pack if looking at benchmarks, but how noticable is it in real world usage I wonder?

Was also thinking about the 120 Hz and battery life; 120 Hz is nice and all, but maybe that’s what bring down the battery? I mean, if there isn’t some technology to slow down the refresh rate like Apple's ProMotion.

I was thinking about that the other day – Apple’s A15 really is ahead of the pack if looking at benchmarks, but how noticable is it in real world usage I wonder?

Was also thinking about the 120 Hz and battery life; 120 Hz is nice and all, but maybe that’s what bring down the battery? I mean, if there isn’t some technology to slow down the refresh rate like Apple's ProMotion.
Have to say haven't really noticed the battery being that bad. As I mentioned, the latest update has brought in Google's adaptive battery management. The screen is really nice.

The latest video from AVForums

What makes a 10/10 MOVIE?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom