1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

nothing is perfect...but what is closest for me ?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by RichardHannan, Dec 18, 2004.

1. RichardHannan

RichardHannan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, after weeks of lurking on this forum I now realise that the perfect plasma for me probably does not exist so my question is what are the closest options ?

Perfect for me would be....

1) Silver - Black / grey (and to a lesser extent silver-grey) clash with the colour scheme in the room. Very important to the wife. If it doent look right it is not going in the house !! :blush:

2) Family friendly (wife and 6 yr old kids) - they can operate a TV and a sky box. Sometimes they can even get the DVD player to work - if the SCART auto switching works. The Video and Sony 5.1 reciever are way over thier heads ! :suicide: {but I could replace the Video and DVD player with a DVD recorder}

3) 37" - I have just sold a 28" widescreen CRT and made a cardboard cut out of a 42" screen to see how it looks - it looks too big !

Favorites so far are....

Panasonic TH37PE30 (with cabinet) - looks good, but has a black screen surround which the wife is not keen on.

Panasonic Panasonic TH-37PW7 - nice looking screen, but does not sound family friendly (need seperate sound system). Selection of treminal boards also complex, and seems to be a lot of frustration about the HDMI/Sky issues at the moment.

LG RZ-42PX11 - not 37", but nice looking TV. Available at a good price in the high street.

Hitachi 42PD5200/5300 - also big, but a nice looking TV, and plenty of people like the picture quality right out of the box (no need to mess about withuser/engineer settings etc)

Picture quality is obviously important, but a TV that looks good in the room is essential. Most of the use would be watching SKY TV (90%), the remainder would be watching DVDs. I dont have analogue TV.

I dont really want to spend more than £2500.

Views ? :lease:

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    37" is limited as you have Hitachi Phillips ALIS screens and Panny PW7, Veira not alot else...... 37" LCD (reconemnd Sharp) can do for £2.5k ish........Hitachi 37" are exclusive to DSG.. so means going to Dixons/currrys to get one and ALIS... Pany 37PW7 with PTAE600 tuner box works just like any panny TV (would be my reconmend ation mate) otherwise LCD or 42"

3. RichardHannan

RichardHannan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just to check my understanding though - if I go for the Pany 37PW7 I would need to have my Sony Cinema system on all the time right ? (I thought that the 37PW7 does not have built in speakers, unlike the Veira - If I am wrong then the 37PW7 would be a clear winner)

[Also, looking through the Panasonic catalogue it appears that there are no matching speakers for a 37" screen - the speakers are designed for a 42" screen.]

I know it sounds daft to make my descision based on how a TV looks when switched off, but the wife is fussy about "her lounge", and there is no way she is going to have a pile of electical equipment and cables spoiling the room. The wireing for the rear left/right speakers were put in the walls when the house was built, but I dont really have space for seperate front left and rights.

One other thing, the PTAE600 tuner box is for analogue TV right ? If I only use Sky and a DVD player, and both have SCART output then a tuner is not required ?

4. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    the PTAE600 tuner has 4 scarts and component input and a wife friendly remote teletext etc
    AV-sales list Speakers TY-SP37P7WS + £323.12
    So they are available (for an extra £300 i would teach her to use the amp) mine learnt... SO TH-37PW7 it is then mate just need to decide on how to connect it all PTAE600 tuner is most expensive method
    a JS RGB>VGA cheapest and best PQ least user friendly
    and PAnny scart board worst of both worlds........
    AV-sales price for the TH37PW7 with tuner speaker and wall mount is £ 2318.25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Total Including UK TAX (17.5%) & Delivery to UK mainland: £ 2,318.25

so there you have it.......
    screnn alone with one input board is £1780.84 Delivered
    £125 for mount and £150 for JS box + VGA cable looking at £2100 add the speakers and price comes out very similar.......

5. RichardHannan

RichardHannan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks HD - I will make contact with AV Sales as soon as I get Christmas over with.

Have a good Christmas and New Year.

Richard

6. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    cheers RICH... seems best option... just need to work out exaclty what you need.....