1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nothing but probs, reccommend me a graphics card for mce!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Hairy Herman, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Hairy Herman

Hairy Herman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had nothing but problems with my nvidia ti4200 128mb since i downgraded from my ati 9800pro 128mb (needed cash).

MCE drivers won't install. WinXP drivers work but tv out consequently doesn't.

Microsofts drivers work and tv out works, but they sre so old they don't have "dual view", so either my tv has to pan and scan around 1280x1024, or my tft has to really badly scale 720x480. :( . plus my tft won't accept 720x576, which gives astonishingly good results on my TV.

I want my 9800pro back really, but is there a cheaper ATI card that will work sufficiently to play dvds, contour the colours well in MCE (i get moving colour bands with this piece of :censored: .

Any NVIDIAS which people think might accept the MCE drivers on my PC? I get an error saying "the installer couldn't find drivers for your current hardware configuration. The installer will now close" (or pretty much). It used to work before i did a clean install. (if anyone can fix this i will buy you a drink via paypal!)

Also can ATI's do CRT resolutions without powerstrip, or at least widescreen resolutions? looking for 852x480, 720x480, 720x576, 852x576 or something close.

In conclusion, looking for the cheapest card that will run MCE easily. 9800se? or 9600XT better? 9600pro? fx5900 or whatever its called?

thanks alot for reading this far, im ripping my hair out here.

2. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    Nvidia FX5200 should do the trick, cheap andmostly fanless.

3. Hairy Herman

Hairy Herman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks lisa

do you think i might get the same problems as with the ti4200 (with the drivers)?

4. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    nope thanks to it being a bit more recent than the 4200. Look at the Radeon 9200, 9550 or passive version of the 9600 if you prefer the ATI route

5. Hairy Herman

Hairy Herman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i would prefer the ati route, purely for component/scart rgb compatibility. Think ill try for a 9600. does the new catalyst support widescreen standard def resolutions?

ta

6. Hairy Herman

Hairy Herman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    just got a 9600pro for £30 inc postage. bargain!

7. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    passive or fan cooled? Ahd from where?!

8. Hairy Herman

Hairy Herman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    fan, my processor fan is so loud i could never hear the fan from my 9800pro, but pc is a way away from seat. its quite a small fan i think. ebay, second hand and no accessories but still a great deal me thinks.

9. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +365
    My FX5200 worked fine with MCE, I upgraded to a 6600GT fanless card for the Pure Video stuff and to run games.

The 6600GT came with a component dongle so they are not exclusive to ATI cards, whether you can get one for a FX5200 or even 6200 I am not sure.

lisa

10. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    I'm using the 9200 without issues. I used a 9600xt for a while but noticed absolutely no difference in performance for MCE.