1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notes from my 1st subwoofer audition

Discussion in 'Subwoofers' started by StuartBooth, Jan 26, 2001.

1. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Perhaps somebody will be interested. Today I spent the afternoon in the company of some fine subwoofers. Actually, there was a large front projection system there too, but we'll concentrate on the subwoofers!

My local shop only had the REL Storm III, REL Strata III and a REL Q50. We didn't even bother with the Q50!

We tried out some music first of all, notably The Cardigans - Gran Turismo and Metallica - The Black Album.

To nip to the end of the tale here, the Storm III won. I don't want or like a boomy dance vibe bass, I want something that just weightens up the bass notes and is tight and controlled rather than wooly and thumpy. The
    Storm was, I thought, more controlled, and actually harder to find doing it's thang during the song ie it seemed to integrate better with the rest of my system (we were using the exact same components I have here at home).

We ended up swapping b/w the Storm and Strata with The Cardigans and I tell you, there is stuff in there I have *never* noticed before. Here again I felt I preferred the Storm which seemed to get into less 'trouble' with certain sections of this stunning sounding disc. Other times I noticed how I could follow the changes in notes in the bass tracks more easily with the Storm too.

At one point my demo-man had me feel the Storm and it was interesting to note how you could feel it tracking the notes quite precisely. I wish they had more of a selection to compare with.

Onto movies and it added the missing weight to Blade, one of a few DD discs that I feel lacks something. dts on the other hand is substantial already on my system, even without a sub. The Haunting though. Whoa! There is a tangible throb throughout most of the scenes in this I tried, which I absolutely loved. Atmospheric without dominating, which is what I was after.

I said earlier that the Storm was harder to find in the mix, and I felt that was a good thing, it dominated less than the Strata whilst still providing all the thud and weight I wanted.

What I did find annoying was during Gladiator and Saving Private Ryan, there was an almost directionless boom throughout the opening battle sequences in both. It may be that a better sub or a better processor/amp setup would control this better, but that's way out of my league. The Storm pips in there on the edge of my budget.

However, I'm going to wait a few weeks as they are getting in a new B&W sub in soon, which the sales guy hopes will be quite something. I'll give the Q50 that I missed this time round a go then.

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

[This message has been edited by StuartBooth (edited 26-01-2001).]

[...takes out extra linefeeds...]

[This message has been edited by StuartBooth (edited 27-01-2001).]

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Is that the new ASW 2500 you are referring to?
    It's a nippy little sub, similar in size to the Q200/400.

I hope we get one in too!

Rick

------------------
    'I am just a figment of your imagination.'

Work Site: The Sound Gallery
    Home Site: WD A.V.

3. HT Dude

HT Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In response to the problem about booming, that could be down to the position of the sub. Did you try moving it around?
    Don't forget that it can take hours, days or even weeks before the exact right setup is achieved.

4. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,197
    Stuart,
    Ihave been a REL Storm owner for over five years and have to say it is the best sub at the money for music & movies.I have the S&M DD5.1 Metallica disc and boy what a difference to the overal sound.I too dont like boomy dance music so the Storm is the one to go for.Have you tried Annie Lennox Diva?This was recorded full range and the tight deep bass is incredible!Also try Craig David with artful dodger RE REWIND that bass extension in deep weighty and bends the windows!

Let us know what happens with your next demo session,but make sure you include the Storm with the other two,i have my money on the storm getting the purchase.

5. StuartBooth

StuartBooth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Rick,

Yes, that's the one, the B&W ASW 2500. I now have the brochure in front of me. Please do post if you do get one in. I meant to pop into S.Gallery after Audio-T yesterday but it was tipping it down when I left, and being on a m/bike I was glad I went straight home. It started SNOWING just as I pulled into my drive. Eek!

HC Dude, no, I have to say I didn't move it around. That's a top tip that didn't occur to me at the time. As in my "How did you audition your sub" thread somewhere else, such tips & reminders are very welcome.

THX, thanks for the comments! [​IMG] I don't have Annie Lennox's disc, but I've just this moment gone and ordered it from Play247. I was in awe of how The Cardigans sounded, so I'm taking you up on your tip here.

Craig David? Ummm, I think I may have passed over him on MTV. R'n'B style music? If I'm thinking of the same thing I have to confess I hate this stuff. It's all MTV seems to play (albeit given my limited surfing of that channel), and I just don't like it. So I'll pass on that recommendation. <g>

------------------
    Stuart Booth
    Somewhere in Buckinghamshire, England, UK

6. IAMGEOFF

IAMGEOFF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding sub set up.
    My sub (Strata 111)is in it's third place now, but the main thing that changed was that over time I kept turning it down. It took about a month before I was finally happy. The level went from 2 o'clock when new to 9 o'clock now.
    The thing I notice now I have a decentish set up is how variable film soundtracks are in quality and depth.
    Also how do you explain £600+ for a black box that annoys the wife - can't be done.