• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Notebook decisions £300 max, Noob needs help

johnno73

Established Member
Hi folks,

My wife has just sent me a text saying she wants to buy this

Buy MSI Wind U230 250GB 12.1in Ultra Portable Laptop. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Is it any good? It doesn't say it's a dual core cpu at Argos, but does on the MSI site. However, lots of the specs are different?

MSI Europe – Computer, Laptop, Notebook, Desktop, Mainboard, Graphics and more

I know absolutely nothing with regards to laptops so any help would be greatly appreciated! :)

I would think it will only get used for shopping etc, general web browsing and stuff. Maybe streaming TV also (watching vids on holiday).

I know she wouldn't want anything too slow, she gets impatient at the best of times! :rolleyes::laugh:

Cheers

Last edited:

Din0Su4r

Established Member
I doubt it's a dual core as dual core Mini laptops are quite rare as it would get too hot in such a small device. But you should have no problem streaming tv if you don't mind the small screen. Shouldn't be slow as my Laptop with 3gb of ram never really uses much more than 1.5 gig of ram, and I have quite a lot running in the background.
Also you might want to turn off all the fancy windows 7 graphics as this uses quite a lot of the cpu, which will slow the laptop down quite a bit.

Last edited:

Sir Edwin CBE

Standard Member
I've had three Asus netbooks pass over my hands at one time or another and can only recommend them. I'd say to go for a 9" screen at least, a 10" would be even better - anything below and the web experience starts to suffer.

I'd also take a wander up to Currys or someplace to see some in action and try out keyboards and the like. Read reviews to find out the build quality etc but I'd recommend an Asus.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom