1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not up to speed with latest in projectors - best for 7k?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by simon1967, Mar 31, 2003.

1. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Been out of home cinema for a while now - hence all the still wrapped dvds on my shelf. I think some have even been shown on bbc tv now but I digress.

At present my projector consists is the Seleco 400HT (with line doubler) with a 7 ft OWL screen (inc 12v trigger). I have moved into a new house and am in the process of extending my front room into an av room. Anyway, I haven't kept in touch with the latest on offer but when I last looked (about 9 months ago), I was going to replace my Seleco 400 with a smaller dlp model.

I auditioned several and came to the conclusion that I didn't like either of the sim2's - 200 (rainbow effect) and 300 (too much fan noise) so was attempting to get demos of the marantz vp12s1 and the sharp (both pretty expensive as I remember). My priorities changed and the purchases never went ahead - babies, house, work etc.

So what I want to know is, what's good and bad in the world of projectors. Are the Marantz, Sim2 and Sharps the kings on the big screen front. What models and features should I be looking for? I guess my budget is about 6-7k - I want to get a Panasonic 42 plasma aswell for 10k all in (I made some extra cash from the sale of my house :)

My wishlist:
    relatively stylish
    quiet (a must)
    no rainbow effect (I noticed it on all the single chip pjs)
    no preference for dlps or lcds
    quite a long throw (going across 22-23ft room) - zoom to a minimum 7ft screen

I also need to clear the RSJ beam across the width of the room. I think it will hang down into the room approx 8-9 inches so I will either build a shelf on the rear wall or will have to correct the screen image to compensate for the angle.

Anyone know who is holding demos in central or south-east london/kent areas?

Thanks in advance.

simon

2. Dutch

Dutch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +278
    Hi Simon,

The new Sharp XV-Z10000 gets an excellent review in the current issue of Widescreen Review magazine. It's available at www.ivojo.co.uk for £6956, which is just within your budget.;)

Steve

3. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hellfire - I didn`t think they made Projectors with a throw ratio of over 3 !!.

The longest I know is the SIM - the 300plus is around 2.4.The Marantz is around 1.7 I think - not sure on the Sharp.

Personally I think the HT300plus is a no-brainer for under £7/- ( see special offers forum) - it`s not that noisy really.

4. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    [Hellfire - I didn`t think they made Projectors with a throw ratio of over 3 !!.

The longest I know is the SIM - the 300plus is around 2.4.The Marantz is around 1.7 I think - not sure on the Sharp.

I did a bit of research today on the marantz and based on a 100" diagonal screen, the marantz max throw length would be about 150" (approx 12.5 ft). Based on my room plans, the total room length is 19.5 ft and this would put the pj way too close to the rsj to clear it sufficiently. A home entertainment review stated that there was a long throw version available but didn't find out how much it extended it by. Anyone got any specs?

By my guesstimate maths, I am looking for a projector with a minimum throw ratio of about 2 (which should take it to approx 16.5 ft from the screen) although ideally, I would prefer a 2.2 ratio. This would leads me back to the Sim2 although I am still not convinced about the fan noise. I auditioned one which was sited 4 feet behind me and ceiling mounted. I have not got the best hearing in the world and I could definitely hear the fan - not really acceptable in a £9000 machine. But having said that, I am not sure whether it was the 300plus model I auditioned.

This is getting off the point somewhat but so as I can tell, the contenders have not really changed - Sim2, sharp and marantz are the ones to look at and all at pretty much the same price range (with discounts).

One other thought that came to my mind, If I am throwing an image across a room on its maximum zoom focal length then logic would tell me that sharpness, contrast and brightness would all suffer accordingly. If so, then by how much and is it worth losing any sleep over.

Thanks for the replies.

5. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    The Sharp XV10000 definitely has a long throw. For a diagonal screen size of 100" you would need a throw between 11.9 and 18 feet.

Have you tried the projection calc at projector central?

6. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon,

The noise issue with the SIM`s is not usually the fan, but the colour wheel ( more of a high pitched whine than a low pitch "fan" noise) - which is more noticeable.

I have used SIM2 `s for over 2 years now (HT200 , now the 300+)
    and noise isn`t an issue at all for me ( having said that , I`m an "action" man, not a "weepy"fan , so with the sound system in play , I don`t tend to notice !).

I would say , look at the main players again - Marantz, SIM, Sharp - and the TOSH MT8/Infocus 7200 are getting good press - and choose the best picture for you - noise can be deadened very easily by building a "hushbox" .

If the SIM is best for you - 2 choices - go for the 300+ from Gordon ( great price) , or wait a couple of months to see what new models come out . What I can say is that customer service from SIM/OWL is second to none - should any problems occur, you`ll have total piece of mind - Guaranteed no "dead" mirrors for example - none of the others give you that.

Anyway , enjoy the search - it`s half the fun !!

Good luck mate - let us know how you get on

7. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....OH ,almost forgot - I think I read over on AVS , that in fact optimum performance is achieved by running a PJ at maximum throw - can`t remember why though !! - I`m sure some of the more technically advanced chaps well speel it out though !!

8. simon1967

simon1967

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    I'll second that about Owl. Been busy today and spoke at length to a couple of dealers and to Owl - all very friendly and helpful. Now I am really confused. Here is where I am at the moment:

1. New projectors from Sim2 are being released in June/July which will be a lot quieter. Do I wait and redemo them?
    2. Any problems with service and faults with Marantz have to be sent back to Japan. Is it worth the risk? Ditto the Sharp??
    3. Am I going to get a noticeable increase in picture quality over my 400HT with DLP or would I be better off sticking with my CRT and seeing what othet technological advances come about. DLP is still far from perfect so seeing as I already have a CRT should I wait?
    4. Would 7K be better off spent elsewhere or in the bank?

I'll put similar questions over on the CRT section to get some first hand knowledge of CRT to DLP converts.

Thanks again

9. tiberious

tiberious

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Simon,

I`m told the new models will have some surprises , particularly for those who are "rainbow sensitive".

For me, peace of mind , after picture quality, is the single most important issue. I don`t want to worry about Dust blobs, dead mirrors/pixels, shipping costs to Japan yadda yadda yadda.
    If I spend several thousand on a PJ, if something goes wrong, I want someone to say "of course, leave it to us- we`ll get it sorted for you". That is why I stick with SIM2.

The other thing to consider is that SIM are true innovators - they are typically first with new ideas and products and the others come along and play catch up - or improve on the designs.

If I were you, and the CRT was already installed, and working fine, I think I would wait and audition the new ranges in the summer - but bear in mind there is always a new model round the corner , and they are unlikely to be discounted. I think Gordons offer on the 300+ was the first time I had seen a SIM discounted ( outside of ex-demo)

On the question of screen size, I would suggest going up to 8ft - it would solve your throw problem ( and no matter what you read, in a light controlled room the 300+ is plenty bright enough IMHO)

Good Luck mate