1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not transporting DLP upright!!!

Discussion in 'TVs' started by Shooter1, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Shooter1

Shooter1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Hello everyone :hiya:

I bought the Samsung 46" DLP from Makro, but it wouldn't fit in my car, so I removed all the packaging and brought it home with it lying on its back :eek:

I haven't been able to set it up properly (moving into new house in a couple of weeks), but I have checked that it works and the pic seems to be ok.

What sort of things should I be looking for to see if I've damaged my TV by not transporting it in the proper way :rolleyes:

Thanks

2. loadsofleads

loadsofleads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know that lying a plasma flat is a big :nono: but I wasn't aware the rule applied to DLP's, was there any special instructions on the box on how to transport it :confused:

3. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    The box clearly states that it should be transported upright. Don't forget that a DLP contains a number of crucial but relatively delicate items, the DMD chip aside there's the lamp itself, the colour wheel and the lenses, all of which could be potentially be knocked out of alignment if carried incorrectly. They probably are fairly robust but I wouldn't have risked it.

As a side note Shooter1, did you bring back the box with you? The reason I ask is that it would be difficult to get Makro to accept a return without the original packaging.

4. Delboy

Delboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thing is, how do you know any set hasnt been mis treated before we get our hands on it.....Should have seen how my tosh was delivered!!!

Del

5. Shooter1

Shooter1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    THanks for the replies (I didn't bring the box back, as it wouldn't fit in the car without putting it on top of the screen)

As I said, I haven't really had a chance to use it properly or to run the bulb in but after linking my Denon 500 to the set via component, I wasn't blown away by the picture, it was ok and on a par with the pic from Sky via RGB scart, but I was expecting better (I used settings previously recommended for the SP50")

But are there any things I should be looking out for to see if I've got a problem?

Thanks.

6. Tarbat

Tarbat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +252
    Yes, I'd be suprised if any set hasn't been stood on it's side or back at some time during it's journey from factory to consumer. Also, I don't see anything in the user manual about always keeping the set upright once it's unpacked.

Just wondering what real damage can be done by not keeping it upright? Isn't the technology very similar to DLP front projectors, and I've never seen instructions stating that a DLP projector has to be kept upright at all times.

7. neilmcl

neilmcl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I doubt it very much, they're usually delivered to the retailer upright on pallets anyway. The point though is if it was mishandled in transport by the supplier/retailer and it gets damaged then it's down to them but if you transport it incorrectly and damage occurs it's you're responsibilty and I'll doubt you'll be able to get it fixed under the manufacturers warranty.

It's common sense really besides the manual is an operating guide not a transportation guide.

Front Pros is more compact and probably more sturdy.

8. AndyJ

AndyJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I faced the same situation as my helicopter was out of commission, however, I was able to keep the set in its packaging to give it maximum protection. I have been very unhappy with the (DVD) picture quality since installing the set and can't help but wonder if something has been knocked awry inside the set. Have ordered component leads to further test DVD playback picture quality. If I am still not happy I will probably contact Samsung or a local engineer. From what others have said it is an excellent set and represents great value so I don't want to give up on it just yet. Assume that there is little point contacting Makro in relation to aftersales support?

9. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,028
    Makro will probably swap it or refund without much argument.