• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Not too impessed with Panasonic 37" Plasma..Help needed please?

Bazmondo1

Standard Member
Hi

I just bought a Panasonic TH-PX70 37" plasma but at the moment I am not too impressed with the overall performance?

As this is my first plasma maybe I am expecting too much. I am running a standard sky+ box through it and a Wii at the moment both using scart leads.

When I first plugged it in I was really peed off as the colours were bleeding and there was a lot of blur. However the settings were all messed up. I now have these settings:

Viewing mode- Normal
Contrast- 55%
Brightness- 55%
Colour- 50%
Sharpness- 20% (anymore and this brings blurry edges, especialy
when the footie is on)
Colour balance- normal
Clour management- off
P-NR- 0ff (whatever this means??)
3D-Comb on (this stop the sky menus from shimmering at the
edges)

SET UP

Power on preference- AV

ASPECT SELECTION

Auto ( even if I have it on 16:9 I still lose letters on film titles at the edges??)

I now have a decent picture with beautiful colour and inky blacks. Close ups are amazing with crisp clear pictures. The Marks and spencers food advert looked stunning and peaople thought it was running a HD signal.

However sky 1 footie is less than impessive and the long shots seem to suffer in much the same way some LCD would with movement. I cant really put my finger on it and keep thinking it must be me but I would have thought a grands worth of plasma should be sharper than my old 41" Sony DLP?

Also when watching Dragons Den I noticed (especially on longer distance shots) that peoples eyes had 'lines through them?

All in all it is a much better picture than my old set but I must admit it the blurry long distance shots are niggling away at me and I cant help thinking I might not be doing something right?

I initially thought the edge blurr was down to the crappy B&Q scart I was running it through so I grabbed a £40 gold QED jobbie but it hasnt really made any difference apart from me telling myself it has.

Sorry to rant but here are some questions

1. Can someone suggest a remedy for my edge blur or is this just a problem with HD sets running standard signals and will this dissapear when I go HD?

2. Is this TV 1080p (it was advertised as such but I have my reservations?

3. Is there a setting to make the AV auto switch on to sky/dvd player/wii when I turn one of these things on?

4. I have a shuttle AMD 64 PC with a Sapphire 1950 pro card in it. Can I plug the PC straight into the back of the TV using a dvi lead and play HD video? and if so will this be plugg and play or will I have to set things up res wise etc?

5. My wii setting for the picture has the 480p option greyyed out. Is this right?

Thanks in avance for any help/advice and have a happy new year!

Baz

BYF

Is your sky box set to RGB mode? this makes a big difference, so make sure its in RGB.

Also make sure the sky box is set to 16:9 aspect ratio in system settings.

Other than that your settings are not too far off, I prefer running the stock CINEMA mode setting, at stock all settings are at around 50% and it delivers a decent picture even with SD SKY and Football on Sky Sports which gives a very good picture.

Footy on BBC or ITV looks nowhere near as good as SKY, thats TV channel not the TV's fault. Different TV programmes and channels run at different bitrates, the better ones look very very good, while the poorer ones will always look poor.

Other than that can i ask how bright the room is you have the TV in and how much natural light/windows you have? i.e is light cast across the screen?

Also how close are you sitting, for standard def i wouldn't want to sit any closer than 8feet even with the high bitrate channels, 10 feets is probably a better distance.

Rergarding motion, no flat panel can handle fast motion as well as a CRT, but then again this is one of the better ones, and being plasma out performs all LCDs even the 100hz when it comes to retaining detail during motion.

The TV is compatible with a 1080p signal via HDMI although it cannot fully display the full 1920x1080 lines and will downscale the image to fit the panels native resolution of 1024x720. Your better off feeding this panal a 720p feed as theres far less rescaling needed, and in fact none vertically as its an exact match.

Despite advanced in LCD's this TV is still the best allrounder for under £1000 IMO in 37inch size despite the fact you can buy it for £600-700 in most places.

Bazmondo1

Standard Member
Thanks BYF for your quick reply?

Sorry for being a dumbass but how do I change SKy to RGB?

And is RGB mode where you just use the red, yellow and white componenet cables and not a scart?

The back of this Panny only has red and white audio and no video component input so at the moment I am having to change the Wii scart and Dvd scart around all the time as there are only two scarts and one is being used by the sky box?

Hope that makes sense?

Cheers

Baz

BYF

You should use scart input 1 or 2 for the sky box, as 1 & 2 can carry an RGB signal.

Then all you need is SCART lead capable of an RGB signal, which it should be.

Then go into your sky box menu, on mine i push "services" button then go into picture settings, then change "picture format" to 16:9 and change "video output" to RGB, as soon as you change video output from PAL to RGB you should notice quite a big improvement in the sharpness and cleaner picture of the text on the sky menu.

If you don't maybe your scart lead cannot handle an RGB signal.

Also your DVD and/or WII can probably be connected to the component connection (red,blue,green for video) (red,white for sound), this should give a better picture and possibly enable your DVD player to upscale you DVDs too if you DVD player is an upscaling one. Or plug the Wii into component with the correct lead to free up the other scart socket.

Some people have reported a better picture from there Wii using scart instead of component, but im not sure on this.

The Wii and dvd player should also have a setup menu where you can change the picture format to 16:9 and output to RGB scart if using scart.

Bazmondo1

Standard Member
Have found the rgb setting in sky menu, it was already on RGB

The diplay was on 4:3 so have changed that to 16:9 thanks

Also the contrast was on high so changed that down to medium.

Its starting to look a lot better now thanks

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
A good quality RGB scart lead is always a good idea rather than the cheap freebees you get with gear.

Sorry, see you have already bought one

Bazmondo1

Standard Member
Right I fel like I am getting somewhere now :clap:

I have tried to use the component jack plugs to connect the Wii in order to free up the 2nd scart for my dvd player.

I have a vertical line of jack plugs which are

green at the top (video input)

then a blue one (Pb)
then a red one (Pr)

then a white and red audio input

I connected the yellow jack from the Wii to the green video input jack and the red and white jacks into the red and white audio

Unfortunately all I got was a black and white picture on the wii.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?

Also I tried to connect my PC but the PC DVI lead was a lot bigger than the TV PC input??

Finaly having to manually select the av channel on the tv remote is a teeney bit annoying as my old set use to switch to whatever powered up automatically. Does anyone know if I can have this on the Panny?

Cheers again

Baz

Lin3ar

Distinguished Member
Sorry but I don't understand.

You say that you have the component cable for the Wii (Blue, green and red plugs plus red and white audio)
Then you say that you connected the yellow plug to the green input on the TV.
The yellow plug is from the composite lead which should be connected to the yellow jack of the tv.

If you are using component (red, green and blue plugs) connect them to the relavent jacks on the back of the TV)

CyBeRkId2002

I thFrom what I understand you are trying to connect your Wii to the TV via a composite NOT component connection. Unfortunately, as far as I can remember, this set does not have a composite input so you will have to use the scart adapter that came with your wii.

CyBeRkId2002

or buy something like this which should greatly improve the picture from your Wii and free up that extra scart on the back of the TV. Out of curiousity why do you need to free a slot up? What do you have plugged in at present?

roba666

My advice is to get hold of the Wii component cable. Thats red, green, blue for picture, red and white for sound. I've got the official one linked below, you should be able to get it cheaper if you hunt. I also think you can only do 480p over the component cable, thats why it's greyed out. 480p is the way to go, it's great.
Are you using the RGB Wii scart or yellow/red/white scart adaptor that came in the box? That gives a BAD picture, change it straight away.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Nintendo-Component-Video-Cable/dp/B000JJRV90

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Official-Ni..._1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1199203171&sr=1-1

The component cables will not autoswitch channels, the RGB scart cable should. Matter of fact any yellow/red/white scart adaptor for any source will not autoswitch. Proper scarts have a pin allocated for this.

R

Lee

.....the moment I am having to change the Wii scart and Dvd scart around all the time as there are only two scarts and one is being used by the sky box?

If you connect the DVD scart to the sky+ box and then connect the sky+ scart to the TV, you will only need one scart connection on the TV for the DVD and sky. You can then use the other scart socket on the TV for the wii.

bobcar

Distinguished Member
The TV is compatible with a 1080p signal via HDMI although it cannot fully display the full 1920x1080 lines and will downscale the image to fit the panels native resolution of 1024x720. Your better off feeding this panal a 720p feed as theres far less rescaling needed, and in fact none vertically as its an exact match.
I have a couple of issues with what you say here. If you feed it 720p then the PX70 upscales it to 1080p itself (then does processing and downscaling to fit) so it's gone through an extra scale here. Personally I find the best picture comes from feeding 576p though a lot will depend on your DVD upscaler - to be honest the differences are minor between modes.

Secondly if you feed the 37PX70 720p it will still rescale as there is always some overscan in the picture.

buckaroo

Standard Member
Right I fel like I am getting somewhere now :clap:

I have tried to use the component jack plugs to connect the Wii in order to free up the 2nd scart for my dvd player.
Try getting a scart switch box, if you want to keep a scart socket free. They sell them in Argos

I have a vertical line of jack plugs which are

green at the top (video input)

then a blue one (Pb)
then a red one (Pr)

then a white and red audio input

I connected the yellow jack from the Wii to the green video input jack and the red and white jacks into the red and white audio

Unfortunately all I got was a black and white picture on the wii.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong?
I think you don't have the correct leads. It looks like you are trying to use composite leads in component sockets. Component leads are Red Green and Blue for video, Red and White for audio.
Also I tried to connect my PC but the PC DVI lead was a lot bigger than the TV PC input??
That Panasonic model doesn't have DVI input. It has the older VGA socket. Maybe you need a DVI to VGA adapter.

Finaly having to manually select the av channel on the tv remote is a teeney bit annoying as my old set use to switch to whatever powered up automatically. Does anyone know if I can have this on the Panny?

Cheers again

Baz
Look at Argos again.

Bazmondo1

Standard Member
Wow great forum...Lots of good replies...thanks

It seems I am getting my composites muddled with components. ( I didnt know they were two seperate leads)

For clarification I have a yellow/red/white jack plugs which plug into a scart adapter for the Wii which is in the second scart input of the telly. The first scart is being used by the sky box.

I now realise I need a component lead that has the green blue and red to use the rgb setting on the wii and release the greyed out 480p setting.

I will try reconfiguring the dvd player through the sky box as suggested untill then so i dont have to keep switching the dvd and wii scarts around.

Thanks for all your help so far guys.

Does anyone know what lead I need to get my pc plugged into this tv as the pc dvi is to big. Also will my 1950pro graphics card be able to produce HD material as soon as its plugged in or will I have to faff around?

Also when I turn the sky box on shouldnt it automatically change to sky rather than me having to select it with the tv av bearing in mind the sky box is connected to the tv with a scart?

Cheers again

Baz

Lee

Also when I turn the sky box on shouldnt it automatically change to sky rather than me having to select it with the tv av bearing in mind the sky box is connected to the tv with a scart?

Check to see if the scart control is set to on in the sky+ box.

Services > system setup > picture settings > scart control.

Bazmondo1

Standard Member
Read the last two paragraphs of my post again. :hiya:

Doh! didnt see this post as it had gone on to page 2.

Have now got my sky box auto switching which is nice.

Thanks again everyone, with all the twiddling I have done today my picture looks miles better and from my first post I am a now a lot happier :clap:

I will fish out a dvi to vga adapter

Cheers and happy new year to all

Baz

roba666

Doh! didnt see this post as it had gone on to page 2.

Have now got my sky box auto switching which is nice.

Thanks again everyone, with all the twiddling I have done today my picture looks miles better and from my first post I am a now a lot happier :clap:

I will fish out a dvi to vga adapter

Cheers and happy new year to all

Baz

You're welcome, Happy New Year

un1eash

Distinguished Member
Or get a DVI to HDMI cable for playing HD?

As above, get a dvi to hdmi cable for playing 1080p on the screen. Its what i use with my x1950pro graphics and th-50pz70 screen.

Bazmondo1

Standard Member
As above, get a dvi to hdmi cable for playing 1080p on the screen. Its what i use with my x1950pro graphics and th-50pz70 screen.

Nice, will get one tomorrow if I can. I would love to see what HD looks like on this telly.

Is it a bugger to set up a pc to TV? I rememeber I ran a TV once through a lappy and had to clone the screen etc to get it going. That might be because its was a laptop.

To be honest I am still a noob on the whole HD thing all I know is 720p is horizontal lines which are displayed simultaneosly and 1080i is when it shows lines alternately? ( and I've probably got that wrong!!)

If I plug my Shuttle in to the tv will I need to have a media player ie windows media player or VLC etc to playback in HD? And how will I know that I am in HD? Sorry but not sure I have my head completely around what HD stands for. I play games at 1280x768 on my PC lcd so does this constitute as being High Definition because the res is up high? (not that its that high, crappy old monitor:rolleyes:)

This Tv only goes to 1024 res but is this good by TV standards?

Cheers

BYF

I have a couple of issues with what you say here. If you feed it 720p then the PX70 upscales it to 1080p itself (then does processing and downscaling to fit) so it's gone through an extra scale here. Personally I find the best picture comes from feeding 576p though a lot will depend on your DVD upscaler - to be honest the differences are minor between modes.

Secondly if you feed the 37PX70 720p it will still rescale as there is always some overscan in the picture.

No, if you feed it 720p, the TV will not upscale it to 1080p first, it will simply downscale the horizontal resolution form 1280 to 1024, the verticle resoultion of 720 lines will remain intact with no rescaling needed.

If you feed it 1080p it will have to massively downscale both vertcially and horizontally which in my eyes gives it a slightly softer picture than if i give it 720p.

So if you have the choice of feeding the screen 1080p/i or 720p, give it 720p. Only if you have to feed it 1080p then do so.

If 576p gives you the best picture for upscaling then i'd suggest your upscaling dvd player is poor at upscaling or you have a very very good standard def dvd player.

When i upscale standard def dvd to 720p using my PS3 the difference is clear and near HD standards.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom