Not the Messiah He's a Very Naughty Boy Blu-ray Review & Comments

Tech News

Reaction score
Reviewed by Andrew Mogford, 21st June 2010.
How to sum up a disc like Not the Messiah? Well, as a title I had been looking forward to ever since it received its one-off showing in British cinemas last year (I missed it) I cannot help but be a little disappointed. The actual show would definitely play better if you have a knowledge and a love for oratorio’s. If you find that musical form trying, then you may struggle with this. Likewise, if you do not have a good knowledge of The Life of Brian then you may also find the whole production a little bewildering. If, however, you are a fan of both then you are going to have a field day with this disc. Completist Python fans will certainly want to add this to their collection too. Everyone else may want to rent though.

The picture, sound and extras on this disc are all perfectly fine – but there is nothing here to make the production truly stand out. This is certainly not a disc that you are likely to pull out to impress your friends, but in terms of rendering the production on the home cinema screen this does a perfectly serviceable job.

It is to the credit of the format that Sony has enough faith to bring what is always likely to be niche title to Blu-ray, and they should be given plenty of credit for this. They have done a good job, and it is nice to see some extras included as well.

Read the full review...

Watched this last night with the wife and must say that I am a little surprised at the comments you made during the review, Andrew.
We are not really fans of Monty Python or Opera but we were both truly astounded at how fantastic this concert/oratorio was.:thumbsup::thumbsup:
The setting in the Albert Hall is second to none and the filming of the concert top notch.
I must admit that it helps to know the story of 'The Life of Brian'(which we both do),and also some knowledge of Handel's Messiah, when watching and listening.
I would rate this as the best concert I have ever seen/heard anywhere, and would highly recommend this to anyone who loves incredible music.:thumbsup:
The main singers were all fantastic singers, with a special mention to the Tenor and Soprano (Brian and Judith).
I would have to rate this a very good 9 out of ten for picture (a few flaws hardly worth mentioning), and a very good 9 out of ten for the audio, which, to my mind, could hardly be improved upon.
A truly inspirational and enjoyable evening watching/listening to this blu ray.

i was so looking forward to this as a lifelong python fan, however it just did not work for me at all, and being a completist, i would have wanted John cleese there anyway. I was so disappointed i turned it off after 25 minutes as the music was not for me.

i was so looking forward to this as a lifelong python fan, however it just did not work for me at all, and being a completist, i would have wanted John cleese there anyway. I was so disappointed i turned it off after 25 minutes as the music was not for me.

Never do that. :eek: Give it a chance as the music and rappourt between the cast improves all the time.
The extra's are brilliant as well - give it a chance, you may just enjoy it after all.:smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom