Not the best service from Graham Myers and my-htpc.co.uk

Discussion in 'Video Streaming Boxes & Services' started by irishkeet, Mar 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hello

I think its is fair to air both sides of a story, while there is an very positive thread here about Graham Myers & my-htpc.co.uk my experience has not been as good.

I run my own small business and my feeling is, is that customer service is paramount and that my-htpc.co.uk could have dealt with things in a better way. I have been as factual as I can and I will leave it to others to add their thoughts, maybe I am expecting too much?

22/02/13 - I placed an order for a mede8er paying by card straight away.

28/02/13 - No news or contact regarding my order so I contacted my-htpc.co.uk for an update as the money had left my account.

28/02/13 - In fairness I had a quick response from Graham stating "my apologies, it slipped through our inbox and hasn’t been processed. I apologise for this oversight and your order will be dealt with"

28/02/13 - Emailed Graham back asking "Any chance of a refund on the P&P as a goodwill gesture? Also on AVForums as irishkeet"

this email was not replied to...nor was the next one and still no sign of my mede8er

01/03/13 - emailed Graham again "Can you please let me know if you have got my email, third time contacting you"

01/03/13 - I got a one line response "Sorry Keith I cant offer a refund on the carriage"

01/03/13 - I replied "So I place an order with you, it gets forgotten for a week until I contact you again. So I feel that asking for the postage refund is pretty fair considering. I then have to email you three times before you reply. Would you say that this was good customer service? Please advise"

01/03/13 - Graham's reply - "I do not have the margin to refund, There is nothing I can do. I am sorry you feel aggrieved. It was an oversight but there is no room for movement. If you are unhappy then refuse the delivery and you get a full refund."

01/03/13 - my reply "I understand you have margins but I do feel customer service should be more important and the refund of £7.92 will not break the bank but would/could be a goodwill gesture as the error was on my-htpc's side. Unfortunately I can't refuse the delivery as I need the mede8er (it is a birthday present - which is now late!).

I had read a lot of good things on avforums about yourselves which is why I ordered from you in the first place and while I am sure 99% of orders go out fine its how a company deals with the other orders that counts and I feel that this time could have been managed better."

01/03/13 - no reply as yet.

------------------

02/03/13 - My Mede8er arrived yesterday evening but sadly still no reply to my last email.

My reason for posting this thread is because I think it is important to know how a company deals with you when things do not go as planned. The P&P was only £7.92 and I feel a goodwill gesture of a refund would have been the decent thing to do.

I do buy a lot of tecchy kit for the house and AVForums is always my first port of call for reviews of kit & suppliers. I am afraid I will not be using my-htpc.co.uk again.

irishkeet

2. status42

status42

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +102
    Sorry to hear that you had bad service from graham.
    speaking from the couple of times when i have dealt with his company
    i have had nothing but exellent service with order processed straight away and next day service even a telephone call to keep me upto date with my order.
    As you are a small company yourself you sould be only to aware of the small profit margins companys work in todays climate so dont be to hard on graham.
    but if your not satisfied with the level of sevice then just vote with your feet next time.
    hope your are happy with your med8er

simon

3. couto27

couto27

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Small companys like my-htpc.co.uk, are not like amazon giants with open returning policy depending-on-the-customer-mood.

4. cram

cram

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +188
    Sure Graham dropped the ball with your order getting lost. He rightly apologised and then dealt with your order immediately. Mistakes happen and it seems to me that he actually rectified that mistake pretty quickly once he was aware of it.

That doesn't mean you have an automatic right to compensation and the fact that he hasn't given that to you doesn't mean that he is offering bad service. The nature of your post just smacks of sour grapes on your behalf.

5. metalguru

metalguru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I don't know what his margins are but I can't see it being that big an amount, you got the product and I know you would have got all the advice you would have needed FOC.

Your posting has left a bad taste in my mouth:thumbsdow

6. LongStrength

LongStrength
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I absolutely agree with you irishkeet and I sympathize with you for the response your post is getting.

I also hate dealing with 'smaller' companies as I quite frankly despise dealing with people who are not willing to take it on the chin for there OWN mistake, THEY made the mistake, you paid for a postage service which you never actually got, what was it next day or something for that price? it matters not but it's a few quid which in the name of DECENCY - NEVER MIND customer service.. TAKE IT ON THE CHIN and do the right thing.

I get fed up of people harping on about how they have always had excellent service etc, what the hell is excellent service? them doing what they are SUPPOSED to do? lol my god.. I am of the mind that, mistakes get made, it's NO PROBLEM however, for me 'excellent service' is all about how that mistake is DEALT with, if a mistake is dealt with WELL that alone will keep me coming back TIME and TIME again, the moment I would have had an experience like yours, DONE, DUSTED wont be seeing me again.

I was skeptical about purchasing from my-htpc for the very reasons that have been highlighted reading this thread, this has put the nail in the coffin.

EITHER way, I think it is important you shared you experience, and I am very irritated by the above posts tbh.

Thanks for sharing.

If you fk up, that's just unlucky, it costs, you do the right thing and try not to do it again.

Whoever screwed up at my-htpc should have had 2 less beers at the weekend and forked up a few quid out of decency.

MAN UP.

Just to clarify, EXCELLENT SERVICE does not mean, take the money, dispatch the item, item arrives.

This is NOT EXCELLENT SERVICE.

EDIT: Just to clarify for some confused people, I have zero experience with my-htpc, this is just my opinion in general, and what I would expect, nothing whatsoever to do with my-htpc, I know NOTHING about them, well, other than what this dude said, and if true, it's the first place I have ever known to **** up delivery and not even offer a refund on delivery cost lol (when asked) I am not referring to my-htpc in my post just talking in general, I am very skeptical about dealing with a small business for the very reasons talked about in this thread by several members (not just the OP) I am simply saying that the OP's experience kinda nails the coffin shut, this is NOTHING TO DO with my-htpc specifically.

Not very good with words I am... not.. urm... yah, uno.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  7. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +753
    If it wasn't for businessmen like Graham putting their time and effort in to supporting the forum, you wouldn't have this port of call in the first instance.

I find it incredible that you think this type of commentary is really helping other forum users. i would have thought you might think about supporting a fellow small business owner in these times. You just come across as bitter to me.

8. halfelite

halfelite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +106
    I see nothing wrong here. They dropped your order things like that happen when they were made aware of the issue they said they were sorry and tried to correct the issue, You then turn around and try to get a refund which is tacky, then when you dont get your way you come to a forum to cry about how there service is terrible because you did not get a refund.

Yes small business' stay in business by offering good service, taking a hit on shipping would most likely put him in the red for that order, if they did that type of service they would no longer be in service

9. metalguru

metalguru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    That's the trouble with this country these days, people want something for nothing. In just over a week you got your equipment, an apology was given and a reason why. I wouldn't have given your email request for a refund the time of day either.

At the end of the day things go wrong its a fact of life. :lesson:

Longstrength , one reported oversight and you despise the company, you must be a very small minded sad person.

Excellent service is a thing that Graham does give, all the technical support you need.

10. LongStrength

LongStrength
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66

HUUUUUH? what ARE you on?

LOL.

11. mcspongy

mcspongy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +753
    You're right, I am confused by your contradictions. The OP has achieved what he set out to in putting people off using this business. It's a pity you are basing you're final decision on one persons opinion, someone who has put you off small business generally, so that's not really very clever if he owns his own small business.

There are at least 3 Dune UK retailers that contribute to these forums, and IMO Graham is the one who has always contributed the most, and supported his own and other's customers alike. I hope threads and posts like yours and the OPs don't discourage future support for everybody else.

Anyway, I'd rather be confused than ignorant.

12. dazm41

dazm41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +463
    longstrength

can you explain to me what excellent service is then, because is my book if i order something it's posted ,it arrives on time and dos the what it says that's excellent service to me, Christ what more do you want .everybody wants something for nothing ,

13. metalguru

metalguru

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    I think in longstrength's universe it probably means the supplier pays for the item and the delivery then installs it and stays on to work the remote and cut his toast into soldiers etc etc etc :rotfl:

14. RossK

RossK
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I have just emailed him today (Sunday) and had a reply back within a couple of Hours - Thanks what I call Exceptional Service!

As a small Business owner myself (Sole Trader) I am often very busy and occasionaly forget to call someone back, forget to email someone back etc. I dont give those people money off, if they dont like the service they can take there business elsewere.

15. irishkeet

irishkeet

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    well I posted my view of the events factually, some agree most dont which is fair enough, each has their own opinion and while I may not agree I am open to hearing other points of view. I have now asked the mods to close or end the thread however it works.
    Its was not a thread to stop people buying or anything else simply my experience.
    irishkeet:hiya:

16. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,591
    This thread is closed to prevent further arguing

Pursuant to the forum rules the thread may be reopened on request to allow the retailer the right of fair reply.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.